Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 5th, 2006 16:00

Safely Remove Hardware

Try to use the Safely Remove Hardware feature to remove my USB External Hard Drive and keep getting message that " The Generic volume' cannot be stopped right now. Try stopping the device later."  This has been going on for some time now. Tried to find out if it was using any resources but can't tell. The only thing on it that could possibly affect it is Norton Ghost.
Any suggestions appreciated in that I don't care to loose any data on the drive.

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

February 5th, 2006 17:00

Randerso2,

* Right click the Safely Remove Hardware icon
* Left click Safely Remove Hardware
* In my case, I see three things listed:
USB Mass Storage Device
USB 2.0 Storage Device
Generic volume F:
* Click Generic volume F:
* Click Stop
* Click Generic volume F:
* Click OK
* Click Close and disconnect the USB drive

171 Posts

February 5th, 2006 18:00

The problem might possibly be due to your having the Ghost tray icon in use. You can disable that by doing run - msconfig - stratup tab, and disabling GhostTray.

Windows XP by default will set external drives for quick removal, meaning that if you don't have the flashing light indicating the drive is in use, it is pretty safe to just disconnect it without going through that Safely Remove Hardware. You can double check the setting for your drive, by right clicking on a drive, selecting Properties, hitting the Hardware tab, selecting the external drive, selecting Properties, and then the Policies tab.

Message Edited by Tom McCune on 02-05-2006 03:15 PM

86 Posts

February 5th, 2006 21:00

Tom

Thanks for the info. Will go with that procedure in the future. In no place have I been able to find any such info. Amazing  what a site  such as this will seem to produce. Won't ask but sure would like to have your address for future info.

Thanks

randerso2@comcast.net

171 Posts

February 5th, 2006 22:00

@Randerso2 wrote:

Tom

Thanks for the info. Will go with that procedure in the future. In no place have I been able to find any such info. Amazing what a site such as this will seem to produce. Won't ask but sure would like to have your address for future info.

Thanks

randerso2@comcast.net

I'm not really an expert in anything, so may very well not have what you may want in the future. However, you can figure out a useable email address for me from the bottom of any of my web pages.

4.4K Posts

February 6th, 2006 00:00

The

Control Panel > System > Hardware tab > Device Manager
Expand the "Disk Drives" section and right click on the external USB hard drive and choose "Properties".
Then click on the "Policies" tab. 

My guess is that "Optimize for performance" is checked.  If this is the case, Windows is accessing the disk all of the time and that will prevent you from removing the hard drive.

Go ahead and check "Optimize for quick removal".  Now you will be able to disable the drive using the "Safely remove hardware".

I do this on all of my external storage devices - this includes USB memory keys.

86 Posts

February 6th, 2006 12:00

Bay Wolf

Tried this and no luck. Any more suggestions appreciated.

4.4K Posts

February 6th, 2006 17:00

@Randerso2 wrote:
Bay Wolf

Tried this and no luck. Any more suggestions appreciated.

Were you able to make the changes that I suggested above?

If you were able to make those changes and you still can not remove it safely, that means that a program is open that is accessing that hard drive.  You will need to close that program and then you should be able to remove it safely.

Programs such as the ones in MS Office will do this.  I have a graphic program that will also cause this to happen.  I just close the program, use the safe to remove icon and all is well.

86 Posts

February 6th, 2006 23:00

Bay Wolf

Tried what you said and no luck. Still will not let me exit. Don't want to sound like a novice but can not find what is running during the process.

2 Posts

November 1st, 2015 18:00

No Events found!