Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

M

November 9th, 2017 06:00

Same POST Error with and without an installed memory module?

Preamble:

I had to buy another motherboard because the old one was really dead. So I bought a used one on ebay.

My system:

Dell Precision T3500

My problem: I always get the same diagnostic light code (1 - no memory modules detected) and beep code (2-2-2: 1st 64 K RAM chip or data line failure - bit 5) with and without an installed memory module. I am really confused because i think that i should get another beep code if no memory is installed.

What have i done before:
- Tested with nine different memory modules - they all worked on my other T3500
- Cleared CMOS with NVRAM jumper and removed battery
- Tested with no peripherels installed even no GPU

Have somebody an idea what causes such an error and what means "data line failure - bit 5"?

Thanks Mario

4 Operator

• 

754 Posts

November 9th, 2017 06:00

Hi Mario,

It sounds like the motherboard is faulty. Did you try the memory modules in different slots to see if the issue can be isolated to a single slot?

November 9th, 2017 07:00

thanks for your quick reply :-)

My answer ist yes and no. first i did so. I read that the memory slot 1 always must be populated.

It seems that the problem is on slot 1, because if problems found on this slot the POST will not keep going.

bfn

Mario

4 Operator

• 

754 Posts

November 9th, 2017 08:00

It's true that you need to populate slot 1 for the system to complete post, but if you put memory in a different slot it should detect the memory and give a different error (usually --34 LEDs)

November 9th, 2017 11:00

hello,

i followed your advise and tested with 3 memory modules slot1 through slot3 - i have got always the same result - led 1 and beep 2-2-2.. also the same result with no slot populated. why did the beep code not change, if no slot is populated? I think the led shows the general problem and the beep code a more precise descripton of the problem.

bfn

Mario

No Events found!