Highlighted
mariodimonti
1 Copper

Same POST Error with and without an installed memory module?

Preamble:

I had to buy another motherboard because the old one was really dead. So I bought a used one on ebay.

My system:

Dell Precision T3500

My problem: I always get the same diagnostic light code (1 - no memory modules detected) and beep code (2-2-2: 1st 64 K RAM chip or data line failure - bit 5) with and without an installed memory module. I am really confused because i think that i should get another beep code if no memory is installed.

What have i done before:
- Tested with nine different memory modules - they all worked on my other T3500
- Cleared CMOS with NVRAM jumper and removed battery
- Tested with no peripherels installed even no GPU

Have somebody an idea what causes such an error and what means "data line failure - bit 5"?

Thanks Mario

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
4 Replies

RE: Same POST Error with and without an installed memory module?

Hi Mario,

It sounds like the motherboard is faulty. Did you try the memory modules in different slots to see if the issue can be isolated to a single slot?

DELL-Alasdair R
Social Media Support
#IWork4Dell
I'm based in the UK and I'm usually available Monday to Friday 10am-5pm GMT (BST)
Get Support on Twitter @DellCaresPro

0 Kudos
mariodimonti
1 Copper

thanks for your quick reply 🙂

My answer ist yes and no. first i did so. I read that the memory slot 1 always must be populated.

It seems that the problem is on slot 1, because if problems found on this slot the POST will not keep going.

bfn

Mario

0 Kudos

It's true that you need to populate slot 1 for the system to complete post, but if you put memory in a different slot it should detect the memory and give a different error (usually --34 LEDs)

DELL-Alasdair R
Social Media Support
#IWork4Dell
I'm based in the UK and I'm usually available Monday to Friday 10am-5pm GMT (BST)
Get Support on Twitter @DellCaresPro

0 Kudos
mariodimonti
1 Copper

hello,

i followed your advise and tested with 3 memory modules slot1 through slot3 - i have got always the same result - led 1 and beep 2-2-2.. also the same result with no slot populated. why did the beep code not change, if no slot is populated? I think the led shows the general problem and the beep code a more precise descripton of the problem.

bfn

Mario

0 Kudos