Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 3rd, 2016 12:00

Samsung 950 Pro NVMe not showing up in BIOS on Precision T3620

It came with a 500 GB SATA drive. After getting all drivers up to date, I used Acronis to clone over to the 256 GB Samsung 950 Pro NVMe SSD.

Shut down, unplugged the 500 GB SATA drive, and booted right up onto the NVMe. No problems at all. Installed Windows updates, various software; all without a glitch.

However, later on, I reconnected a SATA drive, which will be used for backups. But whenever a SATA drive is connected, the NVMe drive does not show up in the list of boot devices and the system will only attempt (and fail) to boot off the blank SATA drive.

Things I have attempted:

Tried all the SATA ports
Tried different SATA drives
Checked for a firmware update for the NVMe (none)
Flashed the BIOS to the current (just released 2 days ago)
Actually had Dell come out and replace the motherboard (!)

This is starting to feel like a possible BIOS bug or an incompatibility with the Samsung NVMe drive.

Has anyone else experienced this problem?

IT Guy; San Rafael, CA

8 Posts

August 3rd, 2016 15:00

I have a T7600 which I believe is an older model, and I want to by a 950 Pro + an addin card to use in one of the PCIe slots (or an Intel PCIe SSD) .. But I'm not sure if it's supprted by that MB. .. Reading a little into the issue, I found out that there are 2 options for the bios, Legacy OR  UEFI, the latter being needed for the NVMe support in boot.. So you might as well check that out..

I'm still not sure though if these SSDs are supported in my case..

Regards..

1 Rookie

• 

41 Posts

January 16th, 2017 11:00

Have you resolved this problem? Do RAID vs, AHCI settings make any difference?

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

January 17th, 2017 08:00

NVME booting is not supported in the bios.  This is not a feature that comes with this model.

No Events found!