Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 12th, 2015 11:00

Screen blinking on XPS 2720 after Windows 10 upgrade

The computer is running all the recommended drivers which were installed in the suggested order

This seems more and more like a video driver issue with the driver not working properly with windows 10. I googled windows 10 install issues and there seems to be video card issues with many other systems.

I have tried different bios versions with A11 (the recommended one) definitely the worst. I am running A05 with the brightness level at -29. The computer is usable and only blinks every few minutes. The computer passed all the diagnostics. The machine has been running 24/7 so I don't believe the issue is heat related.

Downloaded the generic INTELdisplay driver (4600) from the INTEL website but the driver will  not install.

I hope Dell put outs updated drivers soon. This is a nice machine the worked well under windows 8.1.

Any help will be appreciated.

15 Posts

August 14th, 2015 03:00

I'm also experiencing random blinks from time to time after upgrading tot Windows 10. I did experience this once in Windows 8.1 upgrade and I remember downgrading to an older driver and it was gone. I wished I had taken a note of it though (***)

I'm currently using the drivers I download from the Dell website for XPS 2720. It's Windows 10 verified but blinking it still occuring (not too much compared to the Windows 10 autodriver installed versions)

I'm using the following drivers right now.

Intel 4600 - 10.18.15.4248
GeForce GT750M -10.18.13.5362

If your system is crashing and hanging, try choosing High Performance on nVidia GPU. Photoshop and illustrator was crashing and restarting the sytem on me so I set both programs to use the nVidia GPU instead..the crashing went away, but blinking still occurs

10 Posts

August 14th, 2015 08:00

The screen blinking is not uncommon. A google search will get a lot of hits. Some users seem to have has success with disabling 2 services using msconfig tool (Problem Reports and Solutions & Windows Error Reporting Service). I did this but I am still having random blinking, mostly when windows are maximized and have a lot of bright  whites. Turning down the contrast helps also. The worst offender seems to be when I open up Quicken. I hope there are driver or windows 10 updates soon. The Dell 2720 has a beautiful screen which worked well on Windows 8.1. Sadly I must use this crippled until there is a fix

1 Message

August 14th, 2015 13:00

I had this same problem with an XPS 17, which had all the latest video drivers, and suddenly noticed that the blinking stopped when I plugged in the power cord.  Discovered people in the past have had similar problems after upgrading the operating system . I tried their suggestion and it worked.  I went into Settings, Power and Sleep, and clicked Additional power settings.  I changed the selection to High Performance, which among other things, increased the brightness of the display.  I cut that down manually to my preference and exited Settings.  The blinking stopped on battery.  I hope this works for  you.  I suspect it will consume more battery power, but, for me, it's better than the blinking.

15 Posts

September 9th, 2015 00:00

Using these drivers for more than a few weeks alteady:

Intel HD Graphics 46000 driver version = 10.18.15.4256
NVIDIA Model GeForce GT 750M = 10.18.13.5362

Doesn't blink anymore!

1 Message

September 9th, 2015 02:00

I use the same drivers, still blinking.

1 Message

September 13th, 2015 02:00

Intel Driver 10.18.15.4256