Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

W

November 16th, 2008 10:00

Screen turning black

Hi,

since yesterday I have a problem, I assume it has to do with the gfx card. Every few minutes the scrren turns black, just for a second or so and then everything seems to be fine again.

I don´t need to do gaming or work with my 3D applications, this already happens when reading mails or browsing.

I have a Dimension 9200 with Geforce 7900GS, running WinXP. Does somebody know what could cause the problem?

best,

Walli

14.4K Posts

November 16th, 2008 17:00

Could be either your monitor or graphics card.

Check the cable that connects the computer to the monitor make sure the connections are tight.

Try updating your video card drivers. Go HERE and download the latest driver for your card.

uninstall the current driver and install the new one.

22 Posts

November 17th, 2008 02:00

hi,

drivers are current and actually I noticed something - this flicker does not happen when I do 3D work with Cinema4D or Vue. It seems only to happen when browsing with Firefox or Internet Explorer or Googles Chrome.

I thought it might be something of my Antivir software, but even after turning it off the flicker occurs.

I also tried both 60Hz and 75Hz, makes no difference.

1 Message

November 20th, 2008 08:00

HI

I have the exact same problem. Ive got the latest drivers for my NVIDIA GEFORCE 7900GS but still i have to endure half a second of blackness now and then, dosnt really matter what im running, though theres a slight tendency towards higher frequence of "blackness" when im  stressing the Gforce card.

I havnt been able to find any relevant support on nvidia home page...

22 Posts

November 22nd, 2008 14:00

Hi,

just out of curiosity - do you have a antivirus solution running and if yes - which one?

best,

Walli

141 Posts

November 27th, 2008 07:00

I would roll back to the previous video card driver and see if the issue still occurs.

http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp_175.19_whql.html

1 Message

May 28th, 2009 10:00

I have this problem too, which is why I am here.  The screen goes black more regularly the longer the PC is on, so by the end of the day it's every 15 seconds or so.  Really annoying.

I think it happens most when I'm using two screens.

Have tried old and new drivers but no difference.  My antivirus and firewalls are the same as they have ever been.

At £75 it's too expensive to try a new card in case it isn't that.

Help appreciated.

No Events found!