Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 28th, 2009 16:00

Second Hard Drive Installation

I have a Dimension 2400 and would like to install a second internal hard drive.  I have the mounting hardware.  What is the connection and proper drive setting for the new drive?  Do I have to change the settings on the original (primary) drive or motherboard?

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

Make sure the new drive is jumpered as cable select and that you buy a dual-drive cable (the original is single drive) for it.  Attach the original drive to the end further from the system board and the new drive to the middle connector.  The far connector goes to the mainboard.   Plug in the power connectors to both drives, boot, go into BIOS setup and enable the secondary/slave port on the first controller.

Then boot into Windows, partition and format the drive.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

cheersballoon

There are no instructions for installing a second IDE/EIDE hard drive in a D-2400, but as the D-4600 has the same case and chassis, you can use the D-4600 instructions for the physical installation.

Set the second hard drive's jumpers to "Cable Select" and connect it to the middle connector on the cable.

How to install the HARD DRIVE.

After installing the drive, enter the setup and check that the hard drive is set to Auto [on].

To enter the setup, tap the F2 key after a restart of the computer.

Then use XP's disk management to partition and format the drive and assign it a drive letter.

Bev.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

November 5th, 2009 07:00

cheersballoon

Congratulations.    :emotion-2:

Bev.

November 5th, 2009 07:00

Thank you for the help...SUCCESS!!!

No Events found!