Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 6th, 2015 12:00

Second Monitor will not work via HDMI port, Dell Inspiron 3847, Win 7 Pro, intel HD graphics 4600

I have a new Dell Inspiron 3847 with the i7 4790 CPU intel HG graphics 4600

I cannot get a second monitor to work when connected to the HDMI port.

I installed and ran the intel 4600 Video driver update on the Dell site. During the last part of the installation the second Monitor, the HDMI one, started to work.  Great..  I rebooted windows, and no second monitor, windows does not see a second monitor.

So I went to the intel site and downloaded the video driver there.  Again the second monitor, the HDMI one, again started to work just fine, windows could see it in monitor settings and I could move it to the right side of the VGA monitor.  BUT again, after restarting windows, it again is gone and windows cannot see it.

So....  there is a software issue somewhere but I am wondering what else needs to be updated so that the monitor driver will not go south when Windows is rebooted.

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

January 8th, 2015 07:00

Restart, press F2 to get into the bios.  Enable INTEL Multi Display in the bios.  Then make sure it downloads the latest Driver for the video from windows update.  It make take 3 or more reboots to get all the updates regardless of whether or not its windows 7 or windows 8.

I would also recommend buying a 16 gig OR LARGER usb flash drive and making a bootable recovery media.

If your Dell backup and recovery has an Update Button on the start screen go online and update the DBAR to 1.7 and reboot first.  Then make the recovery media.

That way you can always recover even if the hard drive dies.

3 Posts

January 8th, 2015 13:00

Thanks for the input...  after checking the Bios, Multi Display was not enabled.  I'm running 7Pro and there were only a couple of optional updates available.  I did run those and I am still having the same issue.  The monitor on the HMDI port only works after running the latest intel video driver.  When I reboot the computer the HMDI monitor no longer works and windows does not see it...

So still and issue. 

Thanks for the advice on system backup since the computer does not come with a boot CD.

I do use Carbonite for remote back up and am running a utility to back up onsite to both a USB hard drive and Buffalo drive.

Anyone else have ideas please...

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

January 8th, 2015 14:00

Reboot with only the HDMI and make that monitor 1.

Then Reboot again 2 more times.

Then attach VGA and make that Monitor 2

3 Posts

January 9th, 2015 13:00

Again Thanks for the suggestion... but the computer will not display to just the HDMI monitor during boot up.. I removed the VGA monitor connection and the HDMI monitor stays dark...  once I know the computer is up and running, if I connect the VGA monitor I can see that system is only displaying to it..

I even downloaded the drives for the HDMI LG monitor and that did not help....

??????

1 Message

May 29th, 2015 07:00

Hello,

I am having the very same problem described by "jkorn99" above. Has anyone found a solution to this problem? I have opened a ticket with Dell Support and will post the solution here if they find one.

-kevin

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

May 29th, 2015 08:00

INTEL Multi Display must be enabled in bios and then the monitor enabled in control panel.

No Events found!