Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 30th, 2015 10:00

Self upgraded OptiPlex 7010 USFF to i7 3770s - now instant crash after boot WHEA_uncorrectable_error

HI,

after some advice, as title I bought an intel i7 3770s to upgrade my 7010 USFF from an i5 3475s and after I fitted the new i7 it the PC booted and then it crashed with Whea hardware error, I've have the latest A20 bios and defaulted the MB but still crashed.

I ran Dell bios diagnostics and it keeps freezing during normal/extensive memory tests, so I swapped out the memory, still the same, then swapped out MB with the help of Dell warranty and PSU to try and resolve the issue but still the same :/

After some more testing I managed to get the system stable by turning off intel turbo boost in the bios but soon as I turn it on it again, the PC immediately crashes again, so I have it off for now as a temp fix until I can sort this out with intel support.

I then deciphered the windows 8.1 crash dump and it states cause - CPU_Memory_unkown, so it looks like a dodgy CPU inbuilt memory controller.

I contacted intel who think maybe the chip needs to be specific for Dells platform but I think in this case the retail i7 3770s should work fine and Dell support also said to seek Intel for a replacement as we both concluded the CPU is at fault, no mention from Dell about specific CPU's and they know I have a retail 3770s.

Any advice/suggestions?

Thanks.

No Responses!
No Events found!