Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 8th, 2008 12:00

Service tag not recognised and I need to ask questions....

Just bought a new Inspiron 530 desktop from Dell UK but my service tag is not recognised as a UK one.  Therefore I can't get any online support.  I called the 0870 number, they couldn't fix it but put me through to tech support.  I got tired of waiting (and lost a lot of money) so hung up.  I've sent a couple of emails and a couple of online submissions over the past week or two but have had no reply (apart from a 'this mailbox is not monitored' kind of reply).  They sent me an email asking for my opinion of my purchase but the 'answer' button didn't work (in IE or Firefox).

The PC is OK but my opinion of Dell is rapidly going downhill.

Anyone know how to correct this service tag issue?

By the way, my queries are:

Why does the mouse pointer not synchronise properly?  E.G. you have to put it a few millimetres away from a button for the button to work.

Why do I only see two (out of my eight) USB ports as fast ones in device manager?  Why does iTunes tell me I should be using a USB 2 port when I plug my iPod in?

6 Posts

November 27th, 2008 08:00

Bump for this thread since my service tag isn't recognized either.

Did you find a solution for this problem already?

3 Posts

November 27th, 2008 09:00

Hi Da_Fonz,

I went on to the 'contact customer services' page and submitted a message.  Then I did it again a few days later.  And again a few days later, but this time I sent the message eight times in quick succession!  I then had email contact from their helpline, then even a telephone call.  It then took a couple of days to sort out the service tag.

Good luck!

November 27th, 2008 10:00

Hey,

I am sorry to hear that but can you tell me whether you purchased dell computer directly from Dell / I mean to ask this because even retail outlets and stores you can purchase Dell computers / If you purchased from third party outlet or from retailer you can contact them they can provide you this info. /

Ways to find out service Tag:

Get in to BIOS in the system info you can check the system Service Tag.

Regards,

Shaggy

6 Posts

November 27th, 2008 10:00

I bought it straight from Dell I'll try that BIOS thing. thx

133 Posts

November 27th, 2008 11:00

Why does the mouse pointer not synchronise properly?  E.G. you have to put it a few millimetres away from a button for the button to work.

Why do I only see two (out of my eight) USB ports as fast ones in device manager?  Why does iTunes tell me I should be using a USB 2 port when I plug my iPod in?

The BIOS will give you the correct info as Shaggy said, as far as these other two questions:

All USB ports on the i530 are highspeed ports (USB 2.0), the two items you see are the roots (which then distribute between the ports). Make sure you have the latest BIOS and ChipSet drivers installed. go to support.dell.com and choose drivers and downloads, instructions for installing the updates are on the download pages for each item.

The mouse issue is usually due to Video Drivers, download the new ones from support.dell.com. Make sure to uninstall the previous ones including the utitilty (from programs and features) before installing the updated drivers.

Hope this helps

3 Posts

November 27th, 2008 12:00

Thanks Astrophel.  I did update the video drivers (straight from ATI) before Dell got back to me and it did fix the mouse issue.

Dell directed me to the latest BIOS which I couldn't install as I already have the latest (the PC is only a few weeks old).  They also directed me to the chipset update, which I ran, even though it's dated mid-2007.

Thanks for explaining about the USB ports.  I no longer seem to be getting the '...will perform faster on a high-speed port' message when I connect iPods.

8 Posts

December 31st, 2008 15:00

I'v got the same problem with my XPS m1530 laptop that I purchased from Dell. It is always invalid wherever I type my service tag in, on the Dell website. I guess I should phone them up.

1 Message

January 11th, 2009 13:00

I'v got the same problem with my XPS m1530 laptop that I purchased from Dell. It is always invalid wherever I type my service tag in, on the Dell website. I guess I should phone them up.

I just bought a Dell Studio 1735 Laptop in December 2008.  I went to Dell Support website for a general technical support question and was surprised when it identified my Service Tag number as invalid.  I used their "find my service tag for me" interface which confirmed the Service Tag number which was printed on the plate on the bottom of my laptop, but Dell still doesn't recognize it as valid.  The problem with trying to contact them via email, chat, or direct phone contact is that everything begins and ends with that Service Tag number (and the corresponding Express Service Code).  It is a required entry when emailing them or talking to them via online support chat to provide your Service Tag number.  When it is not recognized or in their words and "Invalid" number, you cannot proceed to email or chat with them about it.  When I called I spoke to a customer service representative whose first question was......"what is your Express Service Code?"  When I explain to this representative, who doesn't speak good english, she tells me she can't help me, but she will forward my call to a Custome Care Member who can.  The first question the Customer Care Member asks is "what is your Express Service Code?"  She tells me she can't help me, and that she will forward me to someone who can; and she transfers me right back to Customer Service, who of course cannot help me.  However, she tells me that I should contact SAMS Club, where I bought the laptop, to see if they can assist me.  I am still waiting for a return phone call from SAMs Club, but it seems to me that this is a DELL problem.  Anyone else have this same problem?

July 21st, 2009 18:00

I am having the same problem just trying to register my new Inspiron and being told the SERVICE TAG number, that is on the bottom of the case below the barcode, is invalid. It says right on the number that it is the "Service Tag"? I would give the computer back except I can't find where to send it, besides I like the computer, just learning that DELL is the problem. I bought mine at Best Buy, which I stated when asked on the registration page (that in itself was fun to find).

2.8K Posts

July 21st, 2009 20:00

Did any of you who bought your systems from Sam's, Best Buy or any other retailer (basically anywhere except directly from Dell) try doing an ownership transfer before attempting to contact Dell for support? Until you do this the system is still listed as being owned by a reseller as far as Dell is concerned.

482 Posts

July 22nd, 2009 06:00

Hey The_Namek,

Your advice sounds so simple doesn't it.  But the retailer (Sam's, Best Buy, etc) do not tell the end user that they need to do this.  Even Dell Outlet does not tell the end user that this is necessary.  How would the average purchaser have any idea that they would need to contact Dell about this, and from my personal experience with Customer Service it was a real hassel.

I purchased a XPS 730 from Dell outlet and when I called Tech Support (having upgraded to MyTechTeam already) I was told that my service tag was invalid, transfered, told my service tag was associated with another user, transfered, told my service tag was for a unit still at the Dell warehouse, transfered, told my service tag has a RED flag on it and no further help was available.  What a pain.  And all through this no one asked if the ownership had been transfered.

I found out how to transfer ownership from Bev (shesagordie) here on the forums.  There needs to be much clearer instructions for retailers selling Dell and the staff at Customer Service could use a little more training on helping customers transfer ownership issues.  I went through this over 6 months ago, so I do understand the other posters frustration.  If it had not been for this forum I would still be lost on many issues, but not every user gets here,

Best,

Darrell

2.8K Posts

July 22nd, 2009 17:00

It is, ultimately, a simple solution. I agree that associates at Sam's, Best Buy, Costco & other Dell resellers need to be briefed about the ownership transfer process & make sure they tell customers they need to complete it so that Dell products can be placed in their name and this type of frustration while trying to get support can be avoided. It should go without saying that this also applies to Dell customer service people.

I too remember a particular thread in which someone (I think it was Bev that time as well) posted about being told by a Best Buy rep that they had to do the transfer of ownership so that their system would stop showing up as being registered to Best Buy in Dell's database. IIRC that employee also told the customer there is (or is supposed to be) documentation on or in the boxes of Dell systems purchased from retailers that instructs them to perform a transfer of ownership ASAP. As I've only purchased one Dell computer and it wasn't from any of the retailers in question I don't know whether that's actually true or not.

165 Posts

July 23rd, 2009 13:00

like I've said before: in the current climate of global economics, consumers want cheap junk (and/or more features for the $), and the vendors have little choice but to give those consumers what they want. Otherwise the vendors lose market share, and/or go out of business.

Dell will always cut corners on service, somewhere (especially for customers in "discount" segments). It is hard for a company that runs on a "instant gratification" (feel good), direct marketing, discount price paradigm to provide quality service at all times, for everybody.

There is a business calculus that is used by companies like Dell to determine how many irate/frustrated customers Dell can tolerate having and still make money, maintain market share, etc. Be honest: no company can make everybody happy all the time.

People: if you do not like Dell's business model (which includes cutting corners on some service), go to another vendor that charges a lot more money for better service.

That is how the market works.

Take responsibility: learn and adapt to what goes on in the real world.

2 Posts

September 19th, 2009 04:00

Same problem with PC purchased directly from Dell a few days ago. They clearly have a sytemic problem here.

1 Message

October 19th, 2009 15:00

I bought a Dell XPS 430 direct from Dell UK in July and my Service Tag comes up as incorrect or invalid so am unable to obtain any Tech support to sort this out.

Has anyone found an easy solution to this problem yet.  The Dell Support Centre icon on the desktop shows the correct information but online just error messages.  It is becoming a serious annoyance.

Cheers

No Events found!