Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 6th, 2010 09:00

Several Problems After XP Reinstall on 4550

Hi everyone,

I have a couple of problems after reinstalling XP on my Dimension 4550.  First I'll explain what I did.

I initially did a reinstall of XP in early August as I had a virus on my hard drive that neither malware nor my anti-virus could detect.  After that initial reinstall the only problem I had was accessing the Internet. After several days of really bad advice from several different IT so-called "help" desks, and getting nothing but an ulcer (how many times can I release and reset ipconfig?), I removed all of the drivers and reinstalled them.  That did the trick.  However, over the next few weeks, the Internet started running slower and slower until I could no longer connect (I have a wireless laptop that accessed the Internet just fine, so I know it's not the ISP or DSL connection).  I thought maybe the virus was not wiped out when I did the reinstall, so I used KillDisk to wipe the hard drive and start again.

Both times I did the reinstall using the CD that came with the computer.  After this reinstall, I loaded drivers in the following order using the driver CD that came with the computer:

1. Chipset
  2. NIC
  3. Video
  4. Audio (I have a problem with this)

The two problems I have are:

1. I don't have any sound.  I'm not exactly sure what sound card I have, but before I wiped the hard drive prior to reinstalling XP, I ran a Belarc Advisor profile on my computer. Under "Multimedia" Belarc shows two things:

• Creative SB Live! Series (WDM)
  • Unimodem Half-Duplex Audio Device

I was able to load the driver for the Unimodem, but when I try to load the driver for the Creative SB Live! my computer freezes up.  I tried it twice and it froze up both times. When I go into Device Manager, under "Other Devices", PCI Input Device has a yellow question mark and a yellow exclamation point on it.  When I open the Sound, video and game controllers, I have a yellow exclamation point over Multimedia Audio Controller.  Are these two different devices?  If so, what are they?  How do I resolve this?

2. I can't connect to the Internet.  I successfully downloaded the NIC drivers.  I am green under Network adapters.  Nothing else in the Device Manager is showing any errors.  Any suggestions on what I can do to fix this?  Is it possible that the problems I previously had with the Internet might not have been a virus, but rather something I did or failed to do when I did the initial reinstall?

Thanks for any help you can provide, even if it's only for one issue.  If I can get one resolved that would be progress!

Carolyn

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

October 6th, 2010 10:00

In most cases if there is problems after a reinstall whatever is not working (driver) can be installed and everything will be OK.  However, in a few cases it will take a new/correct install sequence install to get everything working. 

The "Multimedia Audio Controller" is part of the Sound Drivers and when the Sound Drivers are installed that error goes away.  The Unimodem is generally referring to a voice/data modem (dial up data modem). 

The correct install sequence for the 4550 is (1) Install Windows (2) Install Intel motherboard chipset drivers (3) Install Device Drivers including Video, Dell SoundBlaster sound drivers, ethernet, etc. 

I would suspect it is going to take a new "clean" install (reformat the hard drive and then reinstall) to get everything working.  I realize it's a hassle but with all the problems this is probably the best alternative. 

The drivers for the SoundBlaster are an issue.  If you have the drivers disc that is what should be used.  The Dell downloads only list an "update" and I don't know if it is just an "update" or if it's a full driver.   

6 Posts

October 6th, 2010 14:00

Thanks, Fireberd. I did what you suggested; however it didn't change anything (I did a total reinstall rather than an upgrade).  I loaded the drivers as you suggested, but I still am showing yellow question marks with yellow exclamation points on both Multimedia Audio Controller and PCI Input Device.  I am using the driver CD that came with the computer.

I don't know what the PCI Input Device is - can someone explain this to me?

I am assuming the Multimedia Audio Controller is the Soundblaster device.  When I try to load the driver for this device, it goes through the wizard just fine until the last step when I get an error that says: "Driver not found! Reboot your system and run this setup again."  I did just that. I also tried launching the setup from the driver folder on the hard drive, with the same results.  Has anyone tried downloading this driver from the Soundblaster site?  For reference, the driver I am trying to load is R47606.  If there is a different one, let me know and I'll try that, too.

Thanks again, for any suggestions.

6 Posts

October 6th, 2010 14:00

Oops. Forget downloading the drivers from the Creative site. I need an updated version of .NET which I can't download until I get Internet access which I still can't get on the desktop.

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

October 7th, 2010 01:00

I'd suggest you remove all the non-necessary card from the machine and focus on getting the onboard network hardware going. Then, add the other devices one by one.

I had a 4550 I pieced back together (found it on the company scrap heap) and I added a Soundblaster Audigy I bought on Amazon. I used the driver disc that came with the card, but I think the software can be downloaded from Creative Labs.

46 Posts

January 7th, 2011 13:00

Hi - I'm just wondering how you resolved your issue.  I'm have almost the exact same issue (reinstalled XP, yellow question mark by PCI Input Device).  I also had the yellow question mark by Ethernet Controller, but installed the driver for that which resolved it.    Internet is not working (well, I can browse for a few mins then it stops working until I restart).

Thanks!

46 Posts

January 7th, 2011 14:00

Thanks for replying!

I plan to try a few things tonight/tomorrow - I will post what happens!!  The problem is these things can take so much longer than we think they should and get very frustrating - there are never obvious solutions to any of this..

I haven't actually used the Ethernet for years (just going wireless via USB), but it definitely worked last time I used it.

We shall see!

6 Posts

January 7th, 2011 14:00

Well, I never got it resolved.  I tried everything, and finally did a Disk Kill.  While I was able to to sometimes, barely get an internet connection, it just wasn't working. I wasn't about to spend $200 for the Geek Squad to do everything I just did, so I put the thing aside and it's still sitting there.  I did buy a new network card from CompUSA (the box said it would fit), but it didn't fit.  I may try ordering a new card from Dell to see if that will help, but I just haven't gotten around to it.

Your problem sounds very much like mine, however, so now you're making me think it's not the network card, but some setting(s).  If you come up with anything, can you please post your findings?  Now that I've walked away from the problem for awhile, maybe if I go back to it, I can figure it out.  If I do, I'll post my findings.

Good luck to both of us!

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

January 7th, 2011 16:00

I've reinstalled XP on my 4550 more times than I can remember and have never had a single problem. So please post back if you run into any issues.

And yes, I still use it regularly, although it's relegated to the basement for video capture duties (VHS to DVD).

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

January 9th, 2011 12:00

Ok, thanks for the update.

46 Posts

January 9th, 2011 12:00

I just wanted to give a quick update.

I unstalled the Ethernet and PCI Input device, then reinstalled the Chipset driver, restarted, reinstalled the Ethernet driver, restarted.  As far as the Ethernet port goes, I think it's working fine now. I just got a new Wireless-N router and Ethernet to Wireless-N adapter, and have had connection issues which are now related to these devices.

The problem seems to actually be with the router since when I took someone else's solution for this router (to use N-only, WPA2, AES), and also used DHCP Reservation with this PC, I have not  had an issue since.....    the connection has been up for several hours. However, I need to be able to use 802.11g as well since I have some devices that won't support N, so this router will not provide the stability I need.

Good luck!

6 Posts

January 21st, 2011 06:00

Thanks everyone for your recent posts. It was enough to motivate me to roll up my sleeves and attack this problem again. I figured after a few months of watching the CPU collecting dust that I would give it another go before giving up and buying a new computer.

I decided to start with the basics and reloaded the drivers.  That didn't help.  I then noticed I had 3 cables under my desk - a blue one, a yellow one, and a grey one.  I put each one in a port of the modem and checked each one by one by plugging it in and opening Internet Explorer.  I got nothing with the blue and yellow cables, but the grey one worked.  Horray!  However, the Internet is running about as slow as dial up (I have DSL), and some sites won't load at all.  I thought maybe the greay cable is on its way out, so I bought a new one.  It's not running any faster.  It is so slow, that when I tried to download SP2 from the desktop the timer on the download box said 5+ hours, so I downloaded SP2 and SP3 using my laptop, saved them to a CD, and loaded them onto the desktop that way. 

The Internet is still running really slow for most sites.  I downloaded the most recent version of Flash, thinking that may be the problem, but it's not helping.  Sites are loading fine on my laptop. 

I am using a Netgear DGN2000 wireless modem/router.  The desktop is plugged directly into the modem, and I am using the laptop wirelessly.  The desktop has XP Home Edition.

Any suggestions on what I should look at in order to get my desktop internet to run DSL fast?

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

January 22nd, 2011 14:00

Wow, I haven't seen a "gameport" in years. Used to be where you'd connect a joystick, but everything is USB now so I think they're obsolete.

46 Posts

January 22nd, 2011 14:00

I think my problem may be solved, perhaps this will help you....  note that I still had issues even after I got the Ethernet controller driver installed - the internet connection would work great for awhile, and then without any warning (literally while reading email) the internet stopped working - I'd have to reboot to get it to work again.

I still had a yellow question mark by a PCI Input Device (under Unknown Devices) - I originally thought it couldn't be affecting my internet connection, but figured it would be good to fix it just in case.  I ran an "Unknown Devices" tool which indicated it was a Creative Soundblaster Live Gameport.  I had to manually install the driver for it, and the question mark went away.  I have not had a problem since.  Now that was only since this morning, so something could surely go wrong, but so far so good!

46 Posts

January 22nd, 2011 15:00

Yeah, it's part of the Soundblaster card, but apparently requires a separate driver.  So, I'm thinking something was getting messed up with the Ethernet port because of this "Unknown Device" since I hadn't had any issues with the Ethernet before I'd reloaded XP (although it had been years since I actually used it).

Time will tell!

[Update about 10 mins later - I still have the problem - just lost the internet and had to reboot - so frustrating!]

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

January 23rd, 2011 06:00

Did you get any help in the networking forum?

No Events found!