Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 15th, 2008 19:00

Should I delete 'System Error Memory Dump Files'?

Hi:

When I run disk cleanup in Vista, it comes back with lots of different temporary files that I can delete (it 'ticks' them by default). However, there are some big areas that disk cleanup doesn't tick, for example, 'System Error Memory Dump Files', which is over 500 MB in size. My question is - should I tick this for deletion when running disk cleanup? Or should I just say 'OK' to whatever Vista has ticked by default and leave the other areas alone?

Thanks!

Ken A. Dienne

2 Intern

• 

597 Posts

April 15th, 2008 20:00

good question AND nice find, dave.  i'll know what to do with those next cleanup!

:)

m$

April 15th, 2008 20:00

Thanks, Dave, that's perfect! :)

Ken

2.3K Posts

April 16th, 2008 20:00

@Davet50 wrote:

Here you go Ken some good info

http://www.windowsdevcenter.com/pub/a/windows/2007/03/06/cleaning-up-your-disk-drives-in-windows-vista.html

THAT is exactly what I do on a frequent basis.

Ususally if I install a new peripheral or software.... after about a week of no issues, I go in and cleanup and get rid of the old restore points as well.  Good Find Dave :)

Peace

131 Posts

April 16th, 2008 20:00

Runinng disk cleanup to erase minidump files and system retore files(just leaving the latest restore) in my opinion should be performed weekly. Definately keeps the system running optimal.

1 Message

August 18th, 2008 22:00

Once I do a clean up I get the following message "system error memory dump files" and I continue to get "you are running out of space on recovery (D)
No Events found!