Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

March 9th, 2012 04:00

Slowwww startup

Hi all,

Can anyone help?

I have an Inspiron 530.  running XP Pro SP3. 2 days ago it started running extremely slowly at startup.

The symptoms are : When switched on it will reach the Dell Splash Screen, then after 20-30 secs it shows my bios set password box, each keystroke takes 4-5 seconds to be reflected on the screen. If I do not wait for each * to appear before entering the next it will not accept the password, however if I wait for each character to be reflected by the *  then it will eventually, 4-5 secs for each character, accept the password, it then hangs for a time (flashing curser top left) then proceeds to load windows after which it seems to operate ok, load and run programs / applications within windows with no problems.

I have run a full virus scan and a Dell Support Scan, both show no problems.

It seems to me that the Bios has run out of steam?

Can anyone help.

Chris

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

March 16th, 2012 14:00

I checked the Asus AD-RV610LE and it appears to be a Radeon 2400 Pro. Is that different than what device manager shows?

Here is the driver.

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

March 9th, 2012 06:00

Some kind of Keylogging remote Desktop, INTEL AMT or Zenrem32.exe is out of control.

zenrem32.exe is a process associated with ZENworks Remote Management from Novell, Inc..

I have seen this as people try to login to McAfee Endpoint Encryption (SafeBoot) as well.

The keyboard is not skipping but rather its really slow.

Typing swear words in french at 50 wpm for 1 min tends to take 5 min to wake up and show on the screen.

If you restart and login several times it tends to be less and less of a problem.

McAfee Endpoint Encryption (SafeBoot) User Documentation

Endpoint Encryption product so that your passwords stay in .... ID (due to slowness of logon/logoff scripts) and wish to have the functionality

6 Posts

March 10th, 2012 02:00

Hi,

Thanks for the input. I do not use McAfee software, but I did have Logmein remote software installed which had upgraded just before the problem started so I have tried a system restore to before the update, which, as usual, does not work! so uninstalled Logmein manually re-booted, same problem. I updated the bios - no improvement.

As this problem appears not to be Windows related as all works  fine after Windows eventually loads is there any point in a complete reformat / reinstall . I have backed up all my files to date but before I spend the next 8-10 hours re-installing programs and updating Windows I wonder if there is anything else I can try?

Could it perhaps be a hardware issue?

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

March 10th, 2012 04:00

Hi G1VNA,

Dell provides an OS restore utility that will reimage your hard drive in just a few minutes. I would suggest you go that route.

How to Restore or Reinstall Windows on your Dell desktop

6 Posts

March 15th, 2012 17:00

Hi,

Thanks. I have done a complete format/re-install all seems well apart from the video controller. I have an ati 1300 pro 256 card installed (by Dell from new) but I cannot get the system to load the drivers for the card. I have used the resource disc which came with the computer, when I try and load the drivers it gets as far as the ati splash screen then it just disappears and reverts back to the driver install screen. I have tried downloading drivers from various sites but none work.

Device manager shows the yellow asterisk and says no driver loaded.

Any ideas? 

Thanks 

Chris 

6 Posts

March 16th, 2012 10:00

Hi Again,

I have taken the video card out to check it and I find that is not an ati 1300 pro256 which DELL say it should be, but an Asus AD-RV610LE!

I have searched the internet for drivers (including the Dell site) and whilst I can find references to the card and drivers all that seems to be available are the autoscan, sell you a program offerings. Can anyone advise where I can get a copy of the driver? BTW have tried all the drivers included on the Dell Resource Disc in case this is a generic card but none work.

Chris

6 Posts

March 16th, 2012 16:00

Hi Osprey,

All sorted, installed the ATI Catalyst Control Centre for the Radeon 2400 series and it works!

Many thanks, looks like I can get a few more years out of the old girl - now to re-install all those applications........

Thanks again,

Chris

6 Posts

March 16th, 2012 16:00

Hi Osprey,

Thanks for coming back to me with the identity of the card. The device manager shows "Video Controller (VGA Compatible) with the yellow asterix.

Unfortunately your driver link is for a Vista Version but I will look for an XP version and let you know how I get on.

Chris

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

March 17th, 2012 14:00

Cool! Glad that worked.

No Events found!