Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

July 11th, 2011 04:00

Sound issues with Inspiron 560

I have the speakers that came with the desktop. I wasn't use the desktop with sound for awhile. I was using my mom's Acer netbook, or my old Acer laptop running Linux on it to stream http://live.twit.tv as I was working on the things distraction free on my desktop. Well, today I decided to plug in a pair of headphones so I could play sound from WoW in one hear while listening to podcasts with one of the other machines. That worked fine, though I had to log out of wow to get the sound to work, but that's a Blizzard issue...I think.

So then I decided to plug in the speakers to get the full wow sound, as the podcast had ended. So I unplugged the headphones, plugged in the USB-power plug for the speakers, then the jack into the port and expected things to just keep playing. Boy was I wrong, to say the least. Nothing worked. Sound didn't come out of the speakers, and even plugging in the headphones again didn't work--I was just not getting any sound. This is for the front jack and the back as well. 

The only way I'd get sound is if I went out of the youtube video by pressing the back button on the browser, or I logged out of wow (world of warcraft), double click the REALTEK icon on my taskbar, and press the blue play button on the 'Speaker Configuration' part of the screen and then clicked on the youtube video or logged back into wow.

And if I unplugged the speakers, and went to use the headphones? I had to repeat the above. My headset--thing you use to talk and listen--wouldn't even work in the front. 

Now, I know it's not the headphones or the speakers. As I said I've used both in other machines, even as I'm typing this message out and they work fine. 

Is there a fix? Something I'm missing? Any help is appreciated

By the way, I'm running Windows 7 64-bit. This is a Dell Inspiron 560, the current audio driver according to intel, dell.com and REALTEK audio manager is:

DirectX 11.0

HD Audio

ALC887

Again any help is appreciated!

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

July 11th, 2011 05:00

Lets get back to basics and forget about games, youtube, etc.  Can you play a commercial audio CD? or an MP3 file that is on the PC with the Windows Media Player and hear that in the front headphone jack?  If you can, plug the headphones into the rear GREEN speaker jack and see if you can hear the sound.  If you can, the PC's sound is working OK. 

The next step is to plug the speakers back in, and I assume you only have the basic USB powered speakers as you mention plugging in the USB, by plugging the Audio connector from the speakers to the GREEN speaker jack on the rear.  Test this out to determine if you have sound.  Again, if this works the speakers are OK and your PC's sound hardware is OK.  

Post back with how you make out with this.

3 Posts

July 11th, 2011 07:00

Okay, I apologize for the late post. I went to sleep shortly after posting :)

I left the speakers plugged in in the back of the machine, yes via USB as they are the standard speakers you get with a new machine. That worked fine. I was able to play American Idiot just fine.

I then plugged in the headphones into the green (you didn't have to put emphasis on that btw, I'm not an idiot.) jack in the front, and the audio played no problem.

So then the question remains--why couldn't I unplug the speakers from the front green jack and then plug in the headphones and everything would play smoothly without having to do the steps I previously mentioned. Was it just the front jack/computer doesn't have enough power to do a hot swap, assuming that'd be the right term here I apologize if that made no sense, like that?

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

When we respond to a post we have no idea of the technical ability of the user.  For that reason we emphasize things many times.

Again, the basic system, no games, youtube, etc.  Can you plug in the speakers, hear sound OK, then plug in headphones on the front and hear sound OK and the speakers mute?  Then unplug the headphones and the sound should return to the speakers.  If this works, it eliminates the hardware and sound drivers.

Youtube uses Adobe Flash and there have been a lot of problems with that.  Problems with games are a different area and I have no info on those.  There is a gaming section on the forum for gaming problems.  

3 Posts

I turned off front jack detection after playing American Idiot.

Again, using that as I said in the reply, I had the speakers plugged in in the back and sound came out. I then plugged in the headphones while the speakers were plugged in in the back still, and it worked.

I just want to know I can't unplug the speakers in the front and then plug in the headphones and the sound still works, but thanks to a friend from Status.Net I just shut off front jack detection and go from there.

No Events found!