Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

F

January 22nd, 2009 04:00

Speakers extremely loud all of a sudden

I turned my Dimension PC on last night and for some reason the sound coming out of my speakers was incredibly loud. I think they are A525 speakers. Usually I have to rotate the volume dial a couple of times before I can even hear anything. Right now I have the dial turned to the minimum it can be without actually being off; and have set my PC master volume to 5%, and it's still pretty loud. Headphones don't have this problem. What's going on?

4.6K Posts

January 22nd, 2009 06:00

Welcome to the forums :emotion-21:

Strange?  What model Dimension desktop is it, and what OS are you using?

Does the system use on-board audio, or a dedicated soundcard?

Have you checked the various setting in Control Panel --> Sound?

If those appear to be A-OK, it would be worth reinstalling/updating the audio drivers, to see if that makes any difference?

It could turn out to be the speakers themselves of course? 

I don't suppose you have/have access to another system, which you could try them on do you?

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

January 22nd, 2009 06:00

The speaker icon has 2 volume sliders one is master volume the other is wave out.

Double click the speaker icon in the tray and see where the sliders are.

January 22nd, 2009 08:00

The Desktop is a Dimension C521, running Windows XP. I'm not too well versed on soundcards and such, but the system says that it is using SigmaTel audio. Additional information: When I turn the dial, while the volume does increase slightly, there isn't much difference between the minimum and maximum volumes. I think the maximum is the same as it always was and the minimum has increased dramatically for some reason.

12 Posts

January 28th, 2009 10:00

I have the same problem.

Started off with a crackle every time I moved the master volume knob ( on the small speaker) .

After a month or two the sound would go quiet then loud when I moved the volume knob. I stripped the speaker in the hope of it just being dust on the volume knob. No such luck. System is now barely useable. Dell were not much help at all. Just tild me it was time to replace them!

No Events found!