Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

XT

March 17th, 2005 16:00

Still problems with M60 and games slowing down.

Well, i have tried everything that i can think of as of right now. After I play any game that requires some type of 3D graphics for about 10 minutes, the game starts to run terribly slow. I believe that the problem may be due to overheating on it. Because right before it starts to go slow, i can hear the fan inside turn on really high. eventually if i let the game go and try to continue playing (which is almost impossible, cause the game turns into a slide show) it eventually goes back to normal, but then after another few minutes it happens again.

Now IS there ANY way to set it so that the vid card DOESN'T slow down like that?
I mean, how do you properly cool a laptop? i have it in the D/port replicator thingy, so the bottom of the laptop really isnt even touching the table. i find it hard to believe that if i continue playing, i would cause damage to the vid card. Is this a vid card BIOS settings that makes it slow down, or is it a driver setting?

I cannot even play my SNES emulator games because even THEY slow down. i find it hard to believe that a SNES emulator would cause a vid card to overheat.

there has to be a way to disable this.

PLEASE anyone.....

thanks

xtodd

9 Posts

March 17th, 2005 16:00

forgot to ask....

would i be able to install an Overclocking utility for the vid card and enable it, but keep the default speed settings... would that stop it from doing this?

9 Posts

March 17th, 2005 19:00

yeah i am beginning to agree with you on that.

8 Posts

March 17th, 2005 19:00

Not sure what the issue is.. but I have the same problem.. also in a dock, but it's not just games.. its everything.. even opening and closing file windows..

I really am starting to think that this laptop was designed for a CEO that wanted to be able to say he had the best of everything sitting in first class, yet only work in MS office. I should have heeded my instincts when all the hype was about battery life.

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

March 18th, 2005 23:00

Im very certain its a heat issue. If you take your laptop and go into a walk in freezer I bet the game runs longer before slowing down.

The Inspiron 9000 and the XPS laptop I think have similar problems with 3d accelerated overheating. Not sure how this is going to be resolved.

9 Posts

April 21st, 2005 14:00

well thats re*arded. why put a nice video card ina laptop when its just going to overheat no matter what you play on it?

is there a way to override that so even if it does get HOT it wont clock the video down?
id rather fry this thing and get a new (different) laptop that i can actualy play games on.

what about tricks as well i can do to help cool it while playing... i dont have a walk in freezer handy.
No Events found!