Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Z

June 8th, 2007 13:00

Strange USB Port Behavior

Hello!

For about 2 weeks now the USB 2.0 ports on our Dell Dimension 8300 have been working sporadically.  For example, a flash drive will sometimes work when connected to the USB port on the side of the Dell monitor other times it won't.  Occasional, I/O timeout errors appear.  My iPod is no longer recognized.  Printer will sometimes work and other times it will not and we get a "USB device not recognized error" message when initially plugging it into the back of the PC.  There are also times when the printer does print, it's just very slow as if it's waiting for data.  The USB mouse and scanner seem to work fine however.  I've also noticed that the front USB ports don't seem to work at all.

When looking under Device Manager all USB devices and ports appear to be working correctly (no yellow warnings). The PC seems to detect when a USB device is hooked up to it because it dings but then can't seem to communicate with it since it then pops up the "Problem with USB device" (or something to that effect) message box. I've also noticed that the printer was finally detected when plugged into a different USB port but printing only worked for a few times before things went haywire again.

I should also mention that this all began around the same time we removed Symantec Norton System Works 2003 from our PC and installed AVG Free and IE7.  I wouldn't think any of these programs would cause such a problem though.

I'm hoping that someone with similar experience or one of the boards experts could offer some advice on this situation.  I'm open to any suggestions!

Thanks for your time and effort with this concern!

Sincerely,
Jeff

Message Edited by ZENABI on 06-08-2007 09:42 AM

10 Elder

• 

44.4K Posts

October 25th, 2007 00:00

Are you saying the keyboard doesn't work at all now? Or is it still an occassional, random problem?

When was last time the battery on the motherboard was replaced?

The BIOS update you saw for the '521' does NOT apply to your system. The latest BIOS for the 2400 is v5, released in 2003. When you turn on the system, look near the progress bar at bottom of the screen. It should show the BIOS version that's installed. But if this is a recent problem, I tend to doubt it's a sudden need for an updated BIOS.

If you can boot to desktop at any time with keyboard working, press Windows-Break or click start>settings>control panel and double-click on System. Then click Hardware tab and then Device Manager button. Try uninstalling all USB entries and rebooting.

Does keyboard work before Windows loads? Can you press F2 to run BIOS setup or F8 and try Safe Mode? If you can get into BIOS setup, try resetting BIOS to factory defaults by this method:

* Restart the PC
* Watch the keyboard lights. When they flash, tap the F2 key
* The message, Entering Setup should appear
* Press the [Caps Lock], [Scroll Lock] and the [Num Lock] keys to light up all three lights on the keyboard
* Press the [Alt] and keys at the same time
* The computer issues a beep
* The computer issues a beep
* Press down arrow to Onboard or Integrated Devices [press Enter]
* Set everything to On except for USB Emulation which should be set for NO BOOT
* The BIOS saves settings and the computer restarts

If none of this works, you may need to boot from XP CD and run a Repair/Reinstall of XP. Personal files and any software you installed will be ok, but you will have to reinstall all XP updates and hotfixes again, so lets save this for a last resort.

Ron

5 Posts

October 25th, 2007 03:00

Ok I will try that tomorrow. The computer is only two years old so the motherboard battery has never been replaced. This is not a recent problem, it has been happening off and on for about six to nine months. No, at the moment it is working again, (we unplugged it from the back and plugged it back in). The period between it not working from this time to the last time was at least 2 months. The last time it happened was when I was told by the tech support at a title company in Houston about the BIOS update that was necessary to prevent the USB ports being turned off.

36 Posts

December 14th, 2007 03:00

Google "usb.inf". Download the file and place it in tyour Windows>Inf folder. It solved the long and drawn otu problem I had with certain usb devices not being recognized.

April 17th, 2012 13:00

this is regading strange usb behavior...

dell optiplex gx620, xp pro, sp3, 3gbram, 3.4ghz pentium d processor, 640gb wd primary hard drive in sata slor 0, 320gb seagate secondary hard drive in sata slot 3 (have experimented with it in slot 1 and 2), symptoms below remain the same, have also physically swapped the hard drives, symptoms remain the same...bios is a011 version from 2006 (the latest according to dell driver download page...

when booting from a hdd drive in sata slots 0, 1, or 2 and then accessing any usb flash drive in any usb port (either the 2 in front, the 6 in back, the 4 on the monitor, or 4 from a powered belkin add on usb hub) and then following the safe to remove process the usb flash drive can be safely removed (future use is not corrupted) but i consistently get the error message that there was a problem running

shell32.dll and Control_RunDLL hotplug.dll

but when i boot from either hard drive connected to sata slot 3, there is no error message with the safe remove process...

so, something with combination of booting from sata slots 0, 1, 2 create a software problem with usb flash drive removal...

i have periodically worked on this issue for two years trying various combinations and reloading the particular .dll files but the reults are always the same...

any thoughts on this issue from anyone would be appreciated...

10 Elder

• 

44.4K Posts

April 17th, 2012 14:00

Next time start a new thread since this one was so old, and this is a new problem and different system.

You may want to run "sfc /scannow" (without the quotes) from Start>Run to fix issues with Windows system files. Personal files and installed programs won't be affected, but you will need a Windows CD with XP pro SP3 on it, if/when sfc requests it. And it's always a good idea to back up your files first!

sfc may take ~30-40 min so have patience. When it's done sfc exits without any indications of success or failure. You should find some entries about what sfc did, listed under Windows File Protection in the Event Viewer, after it's done.

No Events found!