Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

N

January 24th, 2013 14:00

Strange display situation on shutdown

Dell EPS 410 -- 4GB RAM -- Vista Home Premium

This situation started recently. When you shut down or restart your computer, you finally get to the black screen. But my computer no longer goes directly to the black screen. The screen becomes black around the edges and the desktop background shows through in the center. It will sit like that for perhaps 4-5 seconds and then it will finally go to black and either shut down, or begin the reboot process. 

I'm afraid something is about to go kaput, but I don't know what. I have checked on Dells' Drivers and Updates page and I don't find anything for my system that would seem to fit the bill, although I'm not a computer tech so I could be missing something. 

Does anyone know what is causing this? 

80 Posts

January 24th, 2013 15:00

Is there any other way to tell if it's the monitor? I live in a rural area, 100 miles from the nearest town of any size. I have no ability to plug my computer into another monitor. Other than that shutdown deal, I get beautiful display and all that. I was just wondering if there is some other way to check out the monitor.

14 Posts

January 24th, 2013 15:00

What you're discribing with the black screen around the edges sounds like a bad monitor. Try plugging the computer into a monitor that you know is good as a test, It could be the video card but doubt it.  Also if a computer just keeps restarting on its own that would be the driver. But with the black screen I'm pretty certain it's the monitor.

80 Posts

January 24th, 2013 16:00

I have another matter too. It involves how to use the Dell downloads/drivers page. I entered my service tag and it brought up a page. But when I checked under the Compatibility tab, it listed many Dell systems but did not list my XPS 410. Doesn't that mean that update is not meant for my computer? Because, also, if you look under the "Level of importance" it might say something like this: Dell recommends the customer review specifics about the update to determine if it applies to your system. The update contains changes that impact only certain configurations, or provides new features that may/may not apply to your environment.

Which would indicate that just because it's listed doesn't necessarilly mean it's for my system.

Can anyone clarify this so I know what I'm looking at when I go to that page?

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

January 24th, 2013 17:00

Searching by Service Tag should only show you drivers that are suitable for the model you have. Can you post the link to a driver that comes up with your Service Tag, but that doesn't show compatibility with the XPS 410?  (Do NOT post your Service Tag here.) I'll ask my Dell tech contacts to investigate. I should mention that searching by Service Tag has been buggy for quite a while now. :emotion-7:

Reboot and press F12 before Windows starts to load. Go to the Utilities partition and run the video diagnostics. It does sound like the monitor is starting to go.  Do you have a TV that will accept input from a PC which you can try instead of that monitor?

14 Posts

January 24th, 2013 21:00

I'm on my way over the mountain with a donkey 2 Mexicans and a bottle of Tequila with a monitor...

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

January 25th, 2013 11:00

I'm on my way over the mountain with a donkey 2 Mexicans and a bottle of Tequila with a monitor...

I'll :emotion-46: to that! :emotion-2:

80 Posts

January 26th, 2013 19:00

I just ran the full range of diagnostics for video, and a few other things. Everything tested out 100%.

80 Posts

January 26th, 2013 19:00

Thank you. I knew there was a diagnostics test but couldn't remember where to find it. I will do that. 

Here's one link - nvidia 

[Mod Note: ST# removed per TOU]

This is completely different than the page that came up the first time I checked. The first time there were way more items but I checked quite a few of them and not one listed the XPS 410. Looks to me like this "Drivers & Downloads" section is pretty worthless. Someone should either get it fixed or delete it.

I'm sure my TVs would accept a PC, but I am not able to carry them to my PC, or my PC to them so that is out of the question. I will run that video diagnostics.

I will add that I talked to a person who works on computers and he said he doubts it is the monitor because he things if it were the monitor I'd be having a lot more trouble with it than just this screen business at shutdown. I don't have any problem with the monitor at all -- no flickering -- just nothing. I get a beautiful picture on this monitor. 

Thanks!

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

January 26th, 2013 23:00

BTW: If you compare driver file numbers between the 9200 and the XPS 410, they seem to be identical. Eg, both BIOS updates are file DXP061-020503.EXE.

So even though dirvers for the 9200 don't list compatibility with the XPS 410 and vice versa, they still seem to be the same files. I've pinged my Dell tech contacts to review this issue...

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

January 26th, 2013 23:00

Please remove the link in your post because it has your Service Tag in it. It's a violation of the forum's terms of use to post a Service Tag.

Your Service Tag tracks to a Dimension 9200, not to an XPS 410. So are you sure you have an XPS 410? I suppose it's possible Dell's database has an error and that's why it gives you drivers for the 9200. What does your original invoice say?

It still sounds like a bum monitor to me. Once the power is off, if an image remains on the screen, it's got to be something with the monitor itself.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

January 27th, 2013 00:00

XPS-410 and Dim 9200 are the same machine (except for the plastic name-plate). The real model number is DXP061.

Try another monitor.

Sounds like the monitor (internal program menu) got switched from "stretch" to 1:1 pixel mode. Those Shutdown screens might be a strange or lower resolution.

80 Posts

January 28th, 2013 14:00

Telsa: I don't have access to another monitor.

Would you mind explaining your last statement? I'm not computer savvy enough to know what you are talking about. Is this something that can be adjusted, fixed? If so, how?

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

January 28th, 2013 14:00

Look deep into the settings of the monitor's internal menus for that setting.

What is the make/model of your monitor? I could try to find the Owner's Manual (however, it would be easier for you to just go into monitor's menus and find it).

80 Posts

January 29th, 2013 12:00

My monitor is Dell E207WFP

Where do I go to look into the Monitor's menus? I'm not just a little lost here. I'm totally lost.

On another forum, before I came here, the following link was given to me to download and install Chipset Driver for my computer. My XPS 410 was not listed under Compatibility so I didn't go through with it.

www.dell.com/.../xps-410

The same applies to the following link which was given for the nvidia driver; this driver is actually older than the one I presently have.

www.dell.com/.../xps-410

Can you take a look at these and see if they are the correct drivers for my Dell XPS 410?

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

January 29th, 2013 12:00

the following link was given to me to download and install Chipset Driver for my computer. My XPS 410 was not listed under Compatibility so I didn't go through with it.

Can you take a look at these and see if they are the correct drivers for my Dell XPS 410?

If the machine is working fine while IN WINDOWS ... and this little Display problem while shutting down is your only problem ... I would not recommend changing any drivers at this point.
No Events found!