Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 30th, 2011 09:00

Studio 1909 USB Port not running at high speed

I am having a problem with my Studio 1909 running Windows 7. I am running an external hard drive and I get the dialog box "This device can run faster on a high speed port, click here to find one". But when I click the dialog box all the ports are running as standard,

I've checked the bIOS to make sure that standard/High speed usb 2.0 are selected but it has made no difference and all ports are showing up as standard usb ports and not high speed ports.

Does the Studio 1909 run USB 2.0, and if so, how can I check that the usb ports are running at high speed?

Any help would be appreciated.

Regards

Bernie

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

July 30th, 2011 10:00

Go to the Device Manager and display the USB.  One of the entries should contain "Enhanced Controller".  If this is present then the USB is running in 2.0.  

Is the USB cable you are using certified for USB 2.0? 

5 Posts

July 31st, 2011 19:00

Thanks firebird,

I've had a look at the Device manager and this is what is listed (I've only listed each item once although there are multiple entries) under universal serial ports:

Standard Enhanced usb PCI to USB Host controller

Standard OpenHCD USB Host controller

USB Composite Device

USB Mass storage device

USB Root Hub

The device is a Seagate external hard drive 500gb usb.

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

August 1st, 2011 04:00

Those entries say you have USB 2.0.   This all in one model is harder to access and reset the BIOS, but one thing to consider. You would have to open the PC to access the motherboard, (with the PC powered off) and then remove the CR2032 CMOS backup battery on the motherboard for about 10 minutes.  If the BIOS was the cause of the USB error this should fix it. 

No Events found!