Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 27th, 2015 19:00

Studio 540 Tower wont start.

Steady green light on back panel.Removed hard drive, jumped green & black on the mother board connection. PCU fan runs, but when I connect it to the mother board with the jumper in connection, fan stops running. No power to mother board fan with the hard drive remover. Could it be the on/off button? If not, how do I check the mother board?

Thanks for any response.

October 28th, 2015 08:00

Hi

You can try removing the front panel and try with the physical power button once. 

What is the status of the power button when you power on, is it absolutely dead??

Suspecting motherboard issue though. 

Regards

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

October 28th, 2015 14:00

Steady green light on back panel.Removed hard drive, jumped green & black on the mother board connection. PCU fan runs, but when I connect it to the mother board with the jumper in connection, fan stops running. No power to mother board fan with the hard drive remover. Could it be the on/off button? If not, how do I check the mother board?

Thanks for any response.

woodrose

Check the reading of the power button LED, is it Steady White, Blinking White, Steady Amber, Blinking Amber?

Are there any 'Beeps'?

Does the power supply fan run?

Try Removing the power cord, disconnect all the peripherals, except for the monitor, mouse and keyboard.

Hold the power button in, for one+ minute to release any residue power from the motherboard.

Reconnect the power cord and power the 540 on and see if this makes a difference.

No difference, try the following, if you are comfortable working around computers:

Note: The only 100% method of testing a PSU, is to install a known working power supply.

Unplug the cord from the power supply, hold the power button in for about 15/20 seconds, open the case, unplug the 24-pin power connector from the motherboard and jump the Green wire to one of the Black wires, reconnect the power cord and power the system, if power supply and case fans and the hard drive run, then the PSU should be good.

Note: Do not remove any wires from the plug, use a small piece of wire or a paper clip as a jumper.

Power supply checks out, again disconnect the power cord, hold the power button in again for 15/20 seconds to discharge the residue power, reconnect the 24-pin connector to the motherboard.

Remove all PCI cards from the system, take out the video card [if applicable], disconnect all peripherals, except the monitor, mouse and keyboard and disconnect the power & data cables from all drives. 

Reconnect the power cord and power system on, see if you get a different LED indication on the power button, or 'Beeps'.

No difference, remove the memory from the system and try again.

Still shows no signs of life then you are looking at a motherboard replacement & maybe a processor.

Note: The good news is, processors rarely fail, as the only method I know of checking a processor, is to install it a compatible working PC, or use a known working processor.

http://ftp.dell.com/Manuals/all-products/esuprt_desktop/esuprt_studio_desktop/studio-desktop_Service%20Manual_en-us.pdf

http://ftp.dell.com/Manuals/all-products/esuprt_desktop/esuprt_studio_desktop/studio-desktop_Setup%20Guide_en-us.pdf

Bev.

No Events found!