Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

N

January 7th, 2009 18:00

Studio 540 video upgrade

I recently upgraded the video card in my Studio 540 desktop.  I went from the ATI Radeon HD 3650 to the Nvidia GeForce 9800 GT 512 MB GDDR3 (BFG Tec Overclocked) graphics card.  I didn't have any real trouble with the upgrade.  These forums were a real help.

The installation instructions said to first uninstall the drivers for my existing graphics card.  I was skeptical about doing that, but saw comments in these forums that once the existing drivers were uninstalled, windows would apply generic drivers for my monitor to work, and those comments were correct.  So, I uninstalled the drivers for the 3650, shut down the system, pulled the old card and popped in the new one.  I then installed the software cd that came with my new card.  I then went to the Nvidia site and got the latest drivers for my card.  If I had to do it over again, I would skip using the software cd that came with the card because it inevitably is not the latest version and you're going to have to go to the Nvidia site and get the latest drivers anyway.  I also like the Nvidia video control panel better than the ATI one.

The 9800 requires a 6-pin pci express power cable.  On these forums I saw entries that the Studio 540 has one of the cables.  Before I bought my new card I opened up the 540 to make sure the 6-pin cable was in there.  Once again, these forums were spot on, the cable was in there, but you do have to look around for it because there are a couple of cable harnesses in there.  The 6-pin cable is very long and I had no difficulty plugging it into the socket at the end of the 9800.  The card fit in the case without me having to rearrange anything.

Also, I'm running windows vista 64-bit.  I've had no problems with the card, it runs well and is quiet.

With the 9800 my graphics and gaming graphics performance scores are now both 5.9.  I think they were 5.2 before the upgrade.  I'm in good shape until I buy my next box in a few years.

4 Operator

• 

3.7K Posts

January 8th, 2009 02:00

Hi Nimzovich, Glad to see it worked for you.:emotion-2:

3 Posts

January 17th, 2009 07:00

I just ordered a Studio 540 and am looking to upgrade the video card.  Willing to spend around $80-100 and I would like to find a card that has HDMI and won't require a new PSU.

What are some of my options?

4 Operator

• 

3.7K Posts

January 17th, 2009 10:00

I just ordered a Studio 540 and am looking to upgrade the video card.  Willing to spend around $80-100 and I would like to find a card that has HDMI and won't require a new PSU.

Hi, You could look at this card HERE, it has two adapters that go with it. Or this one HERE, and HERE ( Not a bad card ).

4.6K Posts

January 17th, 2009 13:00

You should've started your own new thread for this [I[

Anways... I had actually included five other links to decent cards available on your budget, but I've deleted them all, because I found this stonking deal:

512MB Zotac Nvidia 9800GT - just $92 (after $30.00 mail-in rebate) :emotion-3:

I very much doubt you'll find a more powerful card on your budget :emotion-55:

The 9800GT was the choice of many gamers (I owned one myself for a good while), prior to the likes of the Radeon HD4870/4870 X2, and the new G260/G280 being released, but it's still a very capable card :emotion-5:

3 Posts

January 17th, 2009 13:00

That's a pretty good price for a 9800GT but it doesnt seem to have HDMI output.. I just purchased this monitor:

ASUS 21.5" HDMI LCD

Isn't direct HDMI out better than converting it from DVI?

4.6K Posts

January 19th, 2009 16:00

HDMI isn't the only connection it offers.  As indicated on the product homepage, it has DVI and VGA as well :emotion-55:

You're right about a direct HDMI - HDMI cable being preferable though - if only because HDMI carries a digital audio signal as well - whereas DVI only provides digital video.

But if digital audios not so important to you... you'll get just as high resolutions - including full HD, using a DVI - HDMI cable :emotion-5:

1 Rookie

• 

22 Posts

March 20th, 2009 13:00

I have a Dell Studio 540 bought at Best Buy. I was thinking of upgrading power supply to permit more powerful graphics card.  I called Dell parts for recommendation. Dell said today March 20, 2009 that PSU is not upgradable and that a more powerfull supply would fry the mother board.  So people may want to think carefully about new graphics cards that are power intensive.

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

July 24th, 2009 10:00

I have a Dell Studio 540 bought at Best Buy. I was thinking of upgrading power supply to permit more powerful graphics card.  I called Dell parts for recommendation. Dell said today March 20, 2009 that PSU is not upgradable and that a more powerfull supply would fry the mother board.  So people may want to think carefully about new graphics cards that are power intensive.

A more powerful power supply would fry the mainboard? I don't believe that.

12 Posts

March 26th, 2010 21:00

lol don't call dell  i have ahd 5770 with a 600w psu this card rocks go buy one hd 5770 will fit the studio

dell studio 540

e8500 3.4chz

hd radeon 5770

600w psu ocz

100+ fps with all settings on high in call of duty mw2

1 Message

December 28th, 2014 11:00

I have recently bought a EVGA 500W Power Supply to replace a faulty default power supply that came with it, no problems at all.. in fact, it runs like a champ

No Events found!