Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 6th, 2009 06:00

Studio Slim 540s slow internet connection with onboard NIC

Hello, I spent a few days trying to solve this one, and once resolved thought this information might save someone else days of troubleshooting.  My issue was that my onboard network card in my 540s was constantly disconnecting.  I tried every driver on Dell's site, the Realtek site, tried software that fixes problems for you, and these only seemed to temporarily solve the problem. 

Steps to Resolve the issue.

Using Vista 64 Home Premium.

1)  Click Start - Right Click Network and then select properties.

2)  Double Click Manage Network Connections

3)  Right click on your network card (Mine is a Realtek RTL8168C) and select Properties.

4)  Click Configure and then Advanced.

5)  Select Speed & Duplex

6)  Select a value (default is Auto which worked horribly for me).  I would recommend 10 Mbps Full Duplex or Higher

7)  Click OK and you should be good to go.

Notes:  Once the network card issue was resolved, I was able to download and install the latest Adobe Flash and Shockwave without issues and even Windows Update started to work (previously it only gave errors).

Hope this fix saves you the aggrevation and lost sleep it caused me. 

1 Message

November 13th, 2011 04:00

Zephyr999:  What are the steps required to correct this on a Windows 7 Machine?

Hello, I spent a few days trying to solve this one, and once resolved thought this information might save someone else days of troubleshooting.  My issue was that my onboard network card in my 540s was constantly disconnecting.  I tried every driver on Dell's site, the Realtek site, tried software that fixes problems for you, and these only seemed to temporarily solve the problem. 

3)  Right click on your network card (Mine is a Realtek RTL8168C) and select Properties.

6)  Select a value (default is Auto which worked horribly for me).  I would recommend 10 Mbps Full Duplex or Higher

Notes:  Once the network card issue was resolved, I was able to download and install the latest Adobe Flash and Shockwave without issues and even Windows Update started to work (previously it only gave errors).

What are the steps for a Windows

No Events found!