Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 18th, 2009 08:00

Studio XPS 435MT & 435T Overclocking potential - BIOS upgrade?

Judging by Dell's current take on the overclocking subject, I imagine that it's true that the new i7 Studio XPS system cannot be overclocked even though other manufacturers using the 920 i7 solution report great results overclocking the i7.  Indeed, even CNET reviews such a system making the comparison between the Studio XPS pretty stark, given the similar specs elsewhere.  I believe they overclocked the Velocity Micro i7 920 system to 3.0GHz with no issues reported.

Is there a chance that Dell will be offering a BIOS upgrade that will allow the ability to safely overclock?  Or BIOS update to allow for 1333Mhz RAM to work as stated in the 435MT manual?

On a second issue, I've seen reports that the X58 chipset/board actually will allow for a maximum RAM of near 24GB, double the Dell's reported maximum of 12.  Will the Dell eventually allow for 24GB?  On the other hand, I've seen max 12 reports, too.  Just wondering where it will really fall for the ultimate upgrade.  EDIT:  Appears the 435T board will allow for 24GB (MT stands for Mini Tower and T stands for Tower).

Thanks for any insight here.

- kh

2 Posts

May 5th, 2009 18:00

It is installed in a Dell 435MT i7 system. It came with 4GB of Memory. I have added a 6GB OZC memory. It now has the 6GB of OZC memory in bank #1, and 3GB of the original memory in bank #2. It runs fine, but WEI (Windows 7 Experience Index) does not run because of the memory configuration. Other than WEI not working, it seems to be fine. Does WEI run on your XPS 435T i7 system with no problems?

I have 6 x 2 GB memory sticks that I purchased for my 435T (from here: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227375). However, when all 6 memory slots are occupied, then the Windows Experience Index fails for me as well. I've tested with Windows Vista and Windows 7. Not only does it fail, but it reboots the computer as if the power was cut. No error...just a reboot. Watching an HD video did the same thing.

When I only use 3 memory sticks (6 GB total), then I don't have any problems. Perhaps the motherboard doesn't like all six memory slots filled with certain kinds of memory?

I'm really hoping a future BIOS upgrade will fix this issue, because it's driving me nuts.

212 Posts

May 8th, 2009 12:00

I have 6 x 2 GB memory sticks that I purchased for my 435T (from here: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227375). However, when all 6 memory slots are occupied, then the Windows Experience Index fails for me as well. I've tested with Windows Vista and Windows 7. Not only does it fail, but it reboots the computer as if the power was cut. No error...just a reboot. Watching an HD video did the same thing.  When I only use 3 memory sticks (6 GB total), then I don't have any problems. Perhaps the motherboard doesn't like all six memory slots filled with certain kinds of memory?

Can you report back if you've solved this issue with Vista 64?  They are quite a number of people looking to get this very ram upgrade, as 6GB kit is now $69, an amazing deal.  Do you still get these terrible reboots? 

2 Posts

May 9th, 2009 13:00

Can you report back if you've solved this issue with Vista 64?  They are quite a number of people looking to get this very ram upgrade, as 6GB kit is now $69, an amazing deal.  Do you still get these terrible reboots?

Unfortunately I haven't found a solution yet. When all 6 DIMM slots are filled with 2 GB memory each (12 GB total), the Windows Experience Index crashes every time. I'm going to try playing with the manual memory timings later today to see if I can find a stable setting, but I'm not very hopeful at this point.

The reason why I think this might be a BIOS issue is because this is a common problem on Core i7 motherboards (X58 chipset). Here' s a quote from Anandtech:

The biggest item was memory, specifically 12GB of memory.  All of the boards had some type of problem with a 12GB installation, ranging from overclock performance to non-POST situations.  Granted, 98% of the 12GB problems have been addressed now, but it took close to a month, dozens of phone calls, hundreds of messages, and constant pressure for this to happen. We spoke with several personnel at various companies and they asked why we were so adamant about 12GB compatibility and performance (6GB operation was not much better at first) as one example.  The typical response was not that many people will actually use 12GB and we tuned our board for high overclocks with 3GB, this is what the enthusiast wants.  Our simple answer was and continues to be, "If you advertise the feature, we expect it to work correctly."

I will say that using just 3 DIMMs (6 GB) is rock-solid stable; no complaints there. But since I bought 12 GB, I would really like to use it at some point.

35 Posts

May 13th, 2009 07:00

I bought a $29.99 nice and large case, currently I am moving all dell things to this large case. One difficult thing is how to cut the steal rear panel out from the dell case?

59 Posts

May 13th, 2009 08:00

I picked up a 6GB kit yesterday...hopefully the issues won't plague me.  I'm guessing the Dell mobo won't support the XMP profiles either? 

35 Posts

What is a "dremel tool"? The case link is here:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811146041&Tpk=nzxt%20alphi

a beautiful case, except the case steal is a little thin, but I think this is OK.

212 Posts

I bought a $29.99 nice and large case, currently I am moving all dell things to this large case. One difficult thing is how to cut the steal rear panel out from the dell case?

This has been mentioned to me by another.   They used a dremel tool to get it done.  While a kludge, it turned out ok. 

$30 for a case?   Lordy, that is loooow.  How nice a case could you get for this amount?  I cant imagine that being an aesthetic wonder.  Do you have a link?  Know you like to be uber brief, but would love a link to this case.  I was looking at some compelling Lian Li cases made by their sister company, Lancool.   A few nice options.

- kh

212 Posts

May 13th, 2009 09:00

What is a "dremel tool"?

Google is your friend, Cheech.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dremel

Thanks for the case link. Not exactly my cup of tea per say but looks like a nice option.  Let us know how it goes for sure.

35 Posts

May 13th, 2009 10:00

Dremel 300 will work, but need $55, a little expensive for a one time use tool. I just cover with that dell paper first, and do it when I have time for this mechanical thing. Maybe Asus p6t board will drop soon, so I can do overclock. This cpu can easily go to 3.5GHz

35 Posts

May 13th, 2009 11:00

I didn't try Dremel before, what can it used to do? 4GHz may needs water cool.

212 Posts

May 13th, 2009 11:00

Dremel 300 will work, but need $55, a little expensive for a one time use tool. I just cover with that dell paper first, and do it when I have time for this mechanical thing. Maybe Asus p6t board will drop soon, so I can do overclock. This cpu can easily go to 3.5GHz

A Dremel can be one of the most useful tools in your tool chest, actually.  It's would serve many more functions than cutting the panel.  When I first mentioned it, I assumed you had one as they are as ubiquitous as a screwdriver these days.  Anyway, that's one option for getting the job done.

The EVGA X58 board is also a good option, too.  You'll have overclocking and the ability to run even faster RAM, not to mention the 1333Mhz at speed and more.  People have gone up to 4Ghz with the 920, actually.

12 Posts

May 13th, 2009 17:00

Hi guys

I see that bios 1.1.0 is out. Has anyone tried it? I am still on 1.0.2 I have 2 issues with it.

1. my ram still shown as 8500 while its 1600, which bios would fix that

2. my esata doesn't want to work. every 2-3 reboots it loads, but when i swap drives, I need another few reboots to get it to work. can something fix that>?

I am on 435mt, 4850 card, rest default except for new ram 12gb thanx:>

50 Posts

May 18th, 2009 09:00

I have to share my experience with Vista 64 and 12 GB (6x2GB) in my Studio XPS Core i7 920: Flawless. I ordered it that way from Dell and the only change I've made inside the case is to switch the Boot Drive to a VelociRaptor 150GB leaving two 1TB RAID1 mirrored Drives for data. I absolutely could not be happier. I've had this rig since the beginning of this year and it has never crashed once, or ever shown any form of "misbehavior." I run it over 14 hours each and every day and so far it's perfect. Indeed, it's running at a 21x multiplier giving me permanent Turbo, again from the factory. I don't know what Anand or anyone else is talking about with problems with 12GB. I'm running the original BIOS and have not upgraded it as I've seen no reason to do so. The leafblower only comes on maybe once every couple of days and since the case is below my desk I barely even notice it. So is there any real reason for me to go to the 1.1 BIOS?

2 Posts

May 18th, 2009 13:00

BIOS 1.1.1 has been out since 5/8.

I'm surprised to see noone reporting on that yet.... any updates that are relevant??  I don't have my 435MT yet or else I would try.

50 Posts

May 18th, 2009 13:00

Thanks for the info, Neoh. I'm still wondering if there is any reason for me to move from 1.0.2 which is solid as a rock and giving me zero problems since I unpacked it in February. The only BIOS feature I wouldn't mind trying is some extremely mild overclocking, but since Dell is highly unlikely to unlock the system to allow for OCs, then I'm left asking why I should consider updating. I'm with Neoh in that I'd really appreciate learning the differences between my current 1.0.2 and the new 1.1.1 to determine whether it's worth the effort (or might mess up something on my extraordinarily solid system).

No Events found!