Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 16th, 2009 02:00

Studio XPS 435MT - Random Blue Screen of Death (BSOD) within 5 - 15 minutes !

Dear all, 

I just received and installed my brand new DELL Studio XPS 435MT running Vista 64-bit. 

Unfortunately, it crashes systematically within 5 - 15 minutes - Blue Screen of Death !!!

It is always showing the same two errors :

1 - 0000009C - MACHINE CHECK EXCEPTION or

2 - 00000101 - CLOCK INTERRUPT WAS NOT RECEIVED ON A SECONDARY PROCESSOR

The machine reboots, wants to send something to Microsoft... and within 5 - 15 minutes it will crash again. There is absolutely no pattern.

It seems completely random, it will crash whether IDLE or with me surfing the internet.....  

Googling the error messages point towards a physical problem (nothing related to drivers or OS).

Please let me know what you think... and what does DELL do in this case ?

Thanks !

January 17th, 2010 05:00

If i'm wrong. There are many things to solve it.

1) It could be your display driver when you go to certain movies or games your display driver can't handle it

2) It could be due to battery. Go check your BIOS to see if your battery can still support your laptop

It used to happen to me. I checked and found out its my battery not being able to support it anymore

7 Posts

January 17th, 2010 05:00

My issue seemes to be or have been a software related issue (hopefully).

As you will remember, the device manager showed that there was a conflict in the "hig precision event timer". Following this I have deleted the high precision event timer out of the device manager (including related software) and did a re-start. Suddenly the device had a German name (my system is a German one) and the conflict had vanished.

Some time later I got a different blue screen relating to a graphics card driver matter. Obviously the initial blue screen was just "on top" of the other one. In the meantime the machine is running safe for several months - all drivers, firmware and BIOS are updated to the most up-to-date available.

However, as a security measure I am doing a warm re-start every time after I have started the machine (this was a workaround also before I had discovered the conflict in the device manager). I did not have blue screens any more.

I will see what happens if I do the upgrade to Windows 7 some time during the next time!

January 17th, 2010 12:00

They replaced the MB, processor, ram, power supply, memory and hard drive. The tech probably wasn't gone two hours and the same thing happened. Then they replaced the computer, now I have the same problem with the new computer. That's what I'm afraid is going to happen, the warranty will finaly run out and I will be stuck with a non working computer.

January 18th, 2010 14:00

Dell Tech was just here and he said the power supply was bad. He replaced the power supply and memory. He wasn't gone ten minutes and the same problems occured. I'm at a loss with Dell. Can anybody help?

46 Posts

January 18th, 2010 15:00

Dell Tech was just here and he said the power supply was bad. He replaced the power supply and memory. He wasn't gone ten minutes and the same problems occured. I'm at a loss with Dell. Can anybody help?

I would contact Dell and tell them you want a NEW and different model as a replacement and not a refurbished 435MT.  While you can potentially have problems with any computer, the 435MT's have definite issues and it's hit or miss on whether you get a good one and if you do you don't know how long it will last.  I have my new replacement XPS 9000 up and running and it is faster, quieter and runs cooler than my smaller 435MT ever did.

155 Posts

January 18th, 2010 15:00

All I can tell you is that I had exactly the same problem early last year with my 435MT, and it persisted despite the eventual replacement of all hardware parts by Dell, as in your case. However, in my case, I got a complete and total "cure" of the problem as follows:  As I have posted several times, my best advice is to totally uninstall your old ATI 4850 video driver and the Catalyst Control Center, using CCleaner and Driver Sweeper to be sure you get every last remnant that says ATI, including the registry (at least, that's what I did) and then go to the ATI/AMD website and download the latest Catalyst driver WITHOUT the accursed Catalyst Control Center and install the new driver. Be sure you create a restore point before you start, just in case of a bad outcome. It worked for me, after zillions of freezes and blue screens before I did the above.

My 435MT is now rock-solid and I have had no freezes or BSODs or any other problem for almost ten months, since doing the above. Obviously this does not apply to everyone's situation, but it worked for me.

Bob N.

1 Message

January 28th, 2010 06:00

I'm facing the same problem, contacted dell, and the support guy let me run a couple of test, all passed, but the problem is not gone.

I'll contact the support again and ask for a replacement.

Greetz

3 Posts

February 23rd, 2010 14:00

I am beginning to think I have the same problem. Like many others, I attributed these symptoms to Windows Vista and put off technical support. If I would have known this would happen, I would have jumped on the XPS 9000 in the first place.

I am dreading the next few weeks as Dell "sends out a tech person to replace a part" and still get blue screens, if I even make it that far.

3 Posts

February 24th, 2010 09:00

Got off the phone with Dell tech support...

I have an Nvidia GTX 275 along with a 550w Antec power supply. Tech support told me the factory 360w power supply is the most the motherboard can handle. I now have to put in the factory power supply because I may have damaged the motherboard and observe. I find this information very hard to believe, especially for an XPS system.

288 Posts

February 24th, 2010 10:00

I find the power supply statement to be absurd. How many Dell owners have replaced their power supplies with aftermarket brands over the years with no ill effects. This is obviously bad or misleading tech support. You should do as they ask and see where that leads you but be prepared for Dell to say the problems are now your fault and you'll have to own up for any replacement costs....

March 13th, 2010 09:00

FIrewire Disabled

I will post a message if I BSOD again.

3 Posts

March 15th, 2010 13:00

They replaced my motherboard and I have not seen a BSOD all weekend; it seems to be fixed.

1 Message

March 19th, 2010 01:00

Ok lets have another one. My system arrived november 2009 and the problems are the same as the ones I see here. Dell replaced my MB, USB and Firewire port, CPU, and yesterday my Graphics card (Nvidia GTX 260). The only parts that ar not replaced are my Memory modules (6GB Trichannel) and the power supply. Nothing helps. The only way I can get a stable system is to disable the IEEE device in the bios. Obviously you can not use it anymore, but in my case thats not a problem (yet), When disabled I never get a BSOD. Hope this helps anyone.

May 25th, 2010 16:00

I have had this problem and I have resolved it by disabling the 1394 firewire in the BIOS.  I don't use firewire anyway and now I can use this PC crash and BSOD free.

2 Posts

May 26th, 2010 01:00

Yes I can confirm that disabling the 1394 firewire in the BIOS works too.

The specific problem I had was that I would (always?) BSOD within 10-15 minutes after a cold start, but the machine would behave OK after the initial Blueey.

No Events found!