Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 29th, 2012 00:00

Studio XPS 435MT wont boot

When I press the power button it lights up blue/white like normal, fans come on fast but cycle in speed, orange light on mother board is steady and green light on power supply is also steady. When the fans slow the power button light appears to flicker. The monitor stays in powersave mode-no signal and the keyboard is unlit.

If left alone it will cycle for who knows how long then at some point the fans will slow and then the computer will boot up. The computer is then useable for awhile but will unexpectedly shut down and start the fan cycling again.

I've blown out all the dust, taken the heat sink off then cleaned and applied new compound, replaced the ram with known good ram, unplugged everything, reseated all connectors and nothing has made a difference.

I'm thinking at this point either motherboard or power supply. Which is more likely?

Thanks,

Brandon

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

March 29th, 2012 03:00

Hi Brandon,

Welcome to the community

Few things to try ;

- Run Dell Diagnostics (to check Hardware Functionality) Restart the computer, on Dell logo keep tapping F12. Then choose diagnostics. Test System, and express test. (If it shuts down during diagnostics we really have to isolate if its the mobo or power supply)

- Run BIOS update ; http://dell.to/HqwH0c  (You can do this within windows)

- If the computer shut down, check the power supply led status at the back. If its green, its okay, it means the motherboard needs to be replaced.

Hopefully we wont end up replacing major parts, just a heads up, rare issue of shutting down are caused by processors.

Let me know of the results, glad to help!

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

March 29th, 2012 21:00

Hi,

I am afraid its the motherboard. If the warranty is active Dell can replace parts.

Best regards,

March 29th, 2012 21:00

Ok.. took awhile but it did die during diagnostics. Supply light was on and green. Mobo then correct?

March 29th, 2012 22:00

Thats what I was afraid of. Thanks for your help.,

April 8th, 2012 23:00

Bought a new Dell motherboard off of ebay and computer works fine now. Thanks!

No Events found!