Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

October 27th, 2009 00:00

Studio XPS 8000 Power Specs for Video Cards?

Hi all,

Can anybody provide the details for the power supply in the Studio XPS 8000?  The available docs identify it as a 350 W PSU, but one of the available options is a Nvidia GTX 260, which is typically advertised as requiring at least a 500 W PSU along with two 6-pin auxilliary power connections.  So I'm curious about the details of the system's PSU, such as number of 12-volt rails, what their amperage rating is, how many 6-pin video card power cables are provided, etc.

Thanks!

Mike

8 Posts

November 21st, 2009 11:00

hey Xav8tor

what model of Corsair 650 psu you got. does it come with a on/off botton on the back?

43 Posts

November 21st, 2009 11:00

Thanks.  Ref the Checkpoint D0 error, I'm on that thread.  I have the default BIOS and have already tried to eleinate peripherals one by one with no luck so far.  I might try that agin though.  The XPS, my printer, and the external HD all have card readers, every USB and the 1394 port is filled, and I've got a USB hub runnning with two of three additional ports used.  I'm sure someone will try to blame me for that, but there are plenty of others with standard configs who have the same problem.  I've got a dinosaur I built based on an Asus AN32SLI (top of the line at the time) AMD board with the original BIOS that ran all of that, and then some, without a hiccup.

8 Posts

November 21st, 2009 15:00

and also take a look at you RAM memery usage guys. the system has a Ram memery ISSUE. check out on this thread http://en.community.dell.com/forums/p/19302304/19586238.aspx#19586238

14 Posts

November 22nd, 2009 20:00

Well wish me luck.

My Studio XPS 8000 is arriving this week.  I just ordered a Corsair TX650 power supply and an ATI 5770 video card - both to obviously replace the stock 8000 components.

I hope everything fits okay!

14 Posts

November 22nd, 2009 20:00

nTomy...it's the COrsiar TX650W and yep, it has an on/off switch.  Fits like a glove in the case.  Very easy install as for the PSU itself.  Cable management was a little bit more of a challenge, but there was plenty of space at the front while keeping all the vents clear.
Any chance you can take a photo of your 8000's inside and post a link?  I have the same power supply on order for my 8000 and would love to see the install and cabling of yours.

43 Posts

November 23rd, 2009 15:00

Now, cable management behind the XPS 8000...not so much!

1 Attachment

43 Posts

November 23rd, 2009 15:00

Inside the XPS 8000...pretty good cable management and airflow...

1 Attachment

8 Posts

November 23rd, 2009 20:00

do you check you RAM yet? make sure all installed in use and the BIOS recognized all of them.

43 Posts

November 24th, 2009 06:00

Yes, I checked.  I am one of the lucky ones.  8 GB installed and 8 GB available.  Only 9mb reserved for hardware, 1.6 GB in use 223 mb modified (whatever that is), 1.9 GB standby and 4.4 GB free.

14 Posts

November 24th, 2009 08:00

Yes, I checked.  I am one of the lucky ones.  8 GB installed and 8 GB available.  Only 9mb reserved for hardware, 1.6 GB in use 223 mb modified (whatever that is), 1.9 GB standby and 4.4 GB free.
Thanks for posting the photos - gives me a sense of what I am up against when my Corsair TX650 and XPS 8000 arrive.

Out of curiosity - can you comment on the noise (or hopefully lack of) from the Corsair power supply?

43 Posts

November 24th, 2009 09:00

One word...stealth!

3 Posts

November 27th, 2009 14:00

Xav8tor,

How is that Corsiar power supply working for you?  I'm about the purchase the same one for my XPS 8000 but I was a little hesitant after reading a few things about Dell's motherboards as being proprietary and installing an after market power supply could cause damage.  I purchased the Radeon 5850 card and need a min 500w PSU.  I just wasn't sure if I installed the Corsiar if I would damage the board which would cause my warranty to be voided. 

I'm anxious to install the graphics card and after waiting for two weeks for it to arrive now It's just sitting there because my current 350w psu will not be sufficient.

43 Posts

November 27th, 2009 18:00

It works great, power to spare, quiet, and the PSU fan actually lowered the case temps.  The mobo is made by Foxconn, and I've seen nothing too unconventional so far, and I have added a lot.  All slots and bays are filled.  I can't comment on the rumors about the warranty, except to say those questionably informed support techs I spoke with in India tried to convince me that if I installed ANYTHING in the computer not purchased directly from Dell, the warranty would be void, and that I should immediately order my vid card, addtional drives, etc. from them.  I don't know where they went to law school, but I must have been asleep that day in class at mine, which is somewhat possible.

While it may be true that any mod you make or part you install that causes damage to a Dell part would void the warranty on the damaged part, if you install a retail part known to be compatible with the computer and follow Dell's service manual, I doubt there would be any logical basis for voiding the warranty.  I actually read a Dell warranty I assume is for my machine and it doesn't address that at all anywhere that I saw, or maybe I missed it.  I didn't read it that closely, because at this point, I don't really care anymore.  Dell may say that, but the law in my state probably says otherwise.  The entire point of expansion slots and bays, and Dell provided directions on how to use them, is so you can do just that...add stuff.  Either way, it isn't worth getting in a contest over.  I service my own machines whenever I am able to.  You are talking about 90 bucks for an bona fide Intel replacement board, and 180 for a really hot one from EVGA, Asus, or someone like that.  The downside to that is that you would need a new copy of Win7.  The upside is, the freedom to OC, for example, with a better BIOS.  Of course, that assumes the case takes a fully standard mATX mobo and no case mods would be required. A comparable case can be had for $50.00.  I wouldn't worry about it myself, but that is just me. YMMV.

43 Posts

November 28th, 2009 11:00

No problem.  If I did not need absolutely perfect OpenGL drivers for flight simulation apps, I would have gone with one of the new ATI cards.  Your new 5850 will no doubt blow right past my GTX 285, even though it is OC'd.  If you have not read Tom's Hardware review, check the link.  Then you'll really get excited.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-hd-5850,2433.html

3 Posts

November 28th, 2009 11:00

Thanks for your help I greatly appreciate it.  I will pick up the PSU today and get this system moving to where I want it to be.  Then I can crack open the new graphics card and see if it lives up to all the hype.  LOL

Thanks again!

No Events found!