Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

N

October 24th, 2011 08:00

Studio XPS 8100 - Hard Crash!!!

I've had this computer a little more than a year, purchased in late August of 2010.  I recently picked up Rage from ID, the latest and greatest game out there.  Anyway, when I first installed the game I had to get a later AMD Driver for the video card because the game refused to run.   Once I did that it was up and running fine.  The performance was decent and it was a lot of fun.  About an hour into the game the machine completely shut down all the fans on the system went into full blast mode, it honestly sounded like it was going to take off from the desk.  I had to hold down the button and then press it again to reboot.  Windows came up fine afterwards and now I'm afraid to run the game again.

This to me clearly sounds like an overheating issue of which I have not had up to this point.  Do you think I should open up an issue with Dell to see about replacing the system?  I paid quite a bit of money for this computer and have less than a year left on the extended warranty I purchased.  I'm afraid to fire up the game again for fear I might permanently damage something by running it, any thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks!

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

October 24th, 2011 08:00

Gaming can be very intensive on a PC.  What it did was shut down due to overheating to protect itself.  This is not a Dell hardware failure or design issue.   Dell sells "gaming PC's" (the Alienware line) and others can run games although they can have overheating problems such as you experienced.  The addition of extra fans in the Case may help (if there is even room).  

The Gaming Section of the forum may be more appropriate to discuss what may be able to be done or what someone else has done to their XPS 8100 to allow it to be run certain games for an extended period.  

I would say 30 minutes at a time with the game should not hurt your PC.  Make sure it's located in an area that gets adequate cool air circulation.  A PC desk compartment in most cases does not allow for adequate air circulation.  

No Events found!