Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 24th, 2016 21:00

Studio XPS 8100 running Win 10 and now want to add SSD as main drive but keep HDD for storage?

I have had my XPS 8100 since 2010 and have updated the gpu twice (now its aEvga FTW gtx960), psu (Thermaltake 600w), and did the free Win 10 upgrade. This has been a great desktop for me even though I would do a seperate component build if I had it to do over again knowing what I know now cause I am limited to sata 2 and legacy bios. Anyway I finally got a SSD bought a PNY 240GB and I have a few bugs with the Win 10 previews so its time for a clean install anyway. I just have a couple questions about the SSD install. What sata port should I move the old HDD to should I move the cd/dvd drive to port 3 or just use port 3 for old HDD? Also i want to keep all the media and some program/game data if possible so can i just delete Windows folder,  program files, and etc? What do you recommend? Finally is there any settings or special drivers I'll need to get the most out of the new SSD? Any advice would be great! It came with a single WD Black Cav 7200rpm 1tb but bios is set for RAID not ATA should I leave that alone or change to ATA? Like I said first SSD install so just point me in the correct direction. I plugged it into the sata 3 port just to make sure it would show up and it did as unallocated drive 1 so I think I can just swap it to port 1 and boot from usb to install right? Thanks for any help or advice!

No Responses!
No Events found!