Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 12th, 2017 10:00

Studio XPS 9100 Restart issue

Hi im having a problem with my pc.  When I restart it it goes through the restarting screen then the monitor goes dark and looses signal like normal but instead of starting back up it just sits there fans going but never actually starts back up.  Any help would be appreciated.  

4 Operator

• 

3.4K Posts

August 13th, 2017 22:00

Thank you for your message.

Does the computer turn on fine when you start it from a standstill?

Was there any recent software changes or Windows updates installed?

What is the status of the power light after you restart the computer?

This could be an issue caused by the video driver.

Run a hardware diagnostic by following this link http://bit.ly/2fJuGXB

For better assistance, please click on my Dell username & send a private message with the service tag, registered name & email address.

5 Posts

August 15th, 2017 11:00

Yes the computer starts up fine from a standstill.

I do not believe there was any updates installed.

I have to check the power light but I imagine its on the dell logo light in front is on and the fans are going.  I can check tonight.

I will try the diagnostic tonight as well.  

Thanks for the help I will post again tonight.  EST

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

August 15th, 2017 12:00

If this is windows 7 you should try F8  safe mode.  Then startup repair.  Then restart normally.

Given the age of the machine it could be just a bad hard drive.

F2 F12 F2 F12  Booting Live Linux DVD or flash drive would sort that out.

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

August 18th, 2017 06:00

The hard drive is too old soon to be dead forever.  Time for a new CMOS battery and Hard Drive.

5 Posts

August 18th, 2017 06:00

Ok so here goes

The power button wasn't coming on at all on attempting to restart.

Here is where it gets strange.  I was going to run the hardware diagnostic so I could see if there was a hardware issue.  You said this could be a video card driver issue so I decided to update my video card driver.  That installed fine.  Also at the beginning of all this my on board network card had stopped working so I decided to disable it to see if that was causing any issues.  Then I decided to test the restarting again with those two changes and bam the computer would not even boot now.  If I hit the power button it and the dell logo would light up but that's it nothing else would happen.  I was very upset and after calming down I tested the power supply and it was working fine.  Thinking I bricked the pc and with nothing else to try I reset the CMOS by removing the mother board battery and gave it one more shot and it booted up fine.  Not only that but now it seems to restart fine too.  So im not sure what was the problem but I hope it stays working.  

Any ideas?

5 Posts

August 18th, 2017 08:00

Whats the red flag that makes you think its the hard drive?  Just wondering

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

August 18th, 2017 08:00

Your hard drive is from 2009 or 2010 at the latest.  Its almost 2018.  Maximum manufacturer warranty on hard drive is 5 years.  3 years is usually maximum dell warranty,   Its not a matter of IF hard drives die its a matter of when. 

https://www.extremetech.com/computing/170748-how-long-do-hard-drives-actually-live-for

5 Posts

August 18th, 2017 15:00

I'll probably pick up a WD black 2tb 7200 rpm drive to upgrade my pc when i get some money.  Do you know if the 9100 is sata 1 or 2?

No Events found!