Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 7th, 2011 19:00

Studio XPS 9100 SATA connector on MB

I have a new secondary HD for my new XPS 9100 (i7 processor) but have not opened or tinkered with the inside of a PC since my old Dimension 8100 that used older type ribbon connectors.  I do know what a SATA cable looks like and I am purchasing a new one at Radio Shack in the morning.

My question is: where on the mother board do I connect the other end of the SATA cable too?  Just use any available SATA connection point I find? Or is there some sort of order to consider? 

Any help on this will be greatly appreciated - thanks :)

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

April 7th, 2011 20:00

rtoohip4u

You can connect the additional SATA hard drive's data cable to any available open SATA connector on the motherboard.

As well as buying the SATA data cable, you will need to buy two 6-32X1/4, phillips, or pan head screws, to attach the hard drive the chassis, there should a spare SATA power connector inside the case.

After installing the SATA hard drive and connecting the power and data cables, enter the system setup and check that the SATA port the hard drive is connected to is enabled [on] and that the hard drive is recognized.

For Windows to recognize the additional hard drive, it must be patitioned, formatted and assigned a drive letter, using Windows Disk Management.

Dell's XPS 9100 Service Manual, is HERE

<ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell>

, unfortunately it does not show the installation of a second hard drive, only a hard drive replacement, but it should be too hard to figure out.  

Bev

16 Posts

April 8th, 2011 08:00

Thanks Bev. With your direction It took a little doing to figure it (1 hour) out but I got it done. Seems to work fine and already copied pics and music files for backup.

One thing though. I could only get it working via the Seagate utility disk that came with the drive. The 'Disk Mgr' was useless (or I just didn't get to the correct area) as the bios setting only had option for 'Disabled' or 'Auto detect' and auto detect was turned on.

The unit is a Seagate Barracuda 1TB/32mb cache/7200 rpm unit that DID come with the SATA cable and mounting screws.  Even has the jumper for older systems.

Thanks for your help Bev.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

April 8th, 2011 09:00

rtoohip4u

Happy to have helped and please to hear the installation was successful.

It's really sad, that Dell no longer includes all the procedures for installing an additional hard drive in their Service Manuals.

Bev.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

April 12th, 2011 08:00

rtoohip4u

As this is a software question,the best section to post this in, is the Software & Operating > Microsoft OS forum HERE  

<ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell>

Personally, I just copy the complete *My Documents* folder to an external hard drive, using the *Send To* menu.

Bev.

16 Posts

April 12th, 2011 08:00

While on the subject (back up HD), I installed the 2nd HD to back up my photo's, MP3's and Documents. Not concerned about programs or any other files as I did get the OS back up disk's from Dell as well.

What I would like to be able to do (if possible via W7) is assign 'My Documents', 'My Pictures' and 'My Music' to copy it's contents automaticaly to the corresponding folder on my 2nd back up drive. Does anyone know how to accomplish that task or where there is a resource for information on how to do this?

Thank you - Randy

16 Posts

April 12th, 2011 10:00

Thanks again Bev.  I guess I'll just take a cue from you and do the back up manualy instead of complicating my life further...lol  You've been a great help.

Randy

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

April 12th, 2011 12:00

Randy.

You are welcome. 

Bev.

1 Message

May 22nd, 2011 06:00

Hi,

I have a DEll 8100 Studio XPS and I want to add a second hard drive. I bought a Seagate Barracude XT 2 TB sata drive. My problem is the sata data cable in the kit looks totally different from the pin connector on the motherboard. I see where the first hard drive plugs in and there appears to be 9 pins, but that configuration looks nothing like the pins on the hard drive. Would you be able to tell me exactly what type of cable I need?

Thank you,

Robert

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

May 22nd, 2011 08:00

miamibear

You need an 18" SATA data cable similar to THIS, there is a spare SATA power connector inside the case for an additional hard drive.

Try to buy the cable from a local computer store, to save the S&H.

Bev.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

May 9th, 2012 09:00

Not sure if I replied but those are the wrong screw types search on google and then look at what you have in the system they are totally wrong. these screws are unique, they are round at the top but have no bevel to them, do you understand that?  I wish I could include a picture of the right screw, and then the most common screw that you will find with that incorrect info above, totally different and the wrong screw may not fit in the track at all.  If you used other screws, you could reclaim all the "unique" screws from the system and only use those for the track and then use any 6-32 1/4 screw to fasten the drive, but me I like to use the original parts so I'll buy the right screws, when I find them.

stavroche

Do you know that you are replying to a year old discussion?

Plus the information I posted about the screws is not incorrect, XPS 9100 does not require any Shoulder Mounting Screws Dell P/N WN322 to mount either the optical or the hard drives, only 6-32X1/4, pan head screws [2 per drive].

Bev.

No Events found!