Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 19th, 2016 15:00

Studio XPS 9100 motherboard form factor / size?

I would like to see if I can move my Studio XPS 9100 motherboard to a smaller form factor case, but I don't know the size of the board. Seems like it came in a full tower case. Does anybody know what the smallest case is that it will fit inside? Perhaps Micro ATX?

4 Posts

August 20th, 2016 14:00

The Studio XPS 9100 manual shows all the motherboard connectors and their functions for the wiring. The issue is whether or not the board it self's mounting holes are the same as a standard full size ATX motherboard. If it is, then it should fit in an ATX mid size tower.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

August 21st, 2016 04:00

It has one extra screw hole than a standard ATX board, but the other nine are ATX-standard.

I would suggest not dismissing the challenge of wiring the board to a standard case - the boards's wiring is NOT documented at the connector level, and it's not the standard wiring you'll find in an off the shelf ATX case.  Also make sure whatever case you buy is sufficiently tall to accomodate the Dell heatsink assembly - you can't replace that without also replacing the mounting bracket and living with the resulting fan failure errors you'll see with every power up.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

August 19th, 2016 18:00

It's a full size board -- and it has enough proprietary wiring that you're in for a big challenge trying to connect standard case wiring to a completely unmarked, undocumented set of proprietary Dell connectors.

No Events found!