Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 3rd, 2011 09:00

Studio XPS GPU upgrade

hi, i currently have the standard xps setup with a geforce GT 240, i7 processor and 8g of memory ect. i want to upgrade to a  XFX HD 6950. i am going to upgrade the power supply to an icute 700w power supply as the card requires at least 500w. Is there anything else i need to be aware of or change other than the power supply?

268 Posts

March 3rd, 2011 11:00

Hi Joni,

I have a XPS Studio 9000T and while upgrading, I was down to the HD6950 or a GTX460 (I ended up with the latter).

The HD6950 only uses slightly more power than the GTX460.

My system is working great with the STOCK 525W power supply and I see no reason to upgrade. I comes with the required dual, 6pin Molex connectors.

Other than than, nothing to worry about.

Masi_GC

1.7K Posts

March 4th, 2011 07:00

Also, that icute power supply appears to be a cheap unit and most would say not to buy it unless you are looking to sabotage your system.  If you actually have a 525 watt Dell unit, you would be much better off staying with it versus getting the icute.   A cheap power supply will have voltage fluctuations that will really mess things up. There is no point whatsoever to buy a cheap unit and get a nice card like the HD 6950.  The power supply is a critical component especially when upgrading to more powerful video cards.   A 700 watt unit with only 20 amps on two 12V rails is just not good enough like this icute has.  Personally, I have found the single rail units like the Corsairs to work out best.  

March 4th, 2011 11:00

right ok il look into getting another supply then, my system only has a 350 w supply atm so quite low.

No Events found!