Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 30th, 2009 06:00

Studio XPS Sleep (S3) issue

Hi all,

Got a Studio XPS which seems fine apart from one thing. When it goes to sleep, or in other words enters "S3" state it is impossible to get the system to boot up again without first unplugging the power cord from the PSU and then plugging it back in again. All you get before doing this is a few seconds of system activity (fans, hdd noise etc) and then all pressing the power button gives you is dead silence that is until you go through all the unplugging hoopla. Another weird thing I've noticed, as others have mentioned is that when the screen is in power save mode it repeatedly comes out of it, all by its self for no apparent reason?! Otherwise the system powers on/off and restarts without an issue, almost seems like it could be a Chipset/BIOS issue but I can't really say...NEED HELP!!

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

January 30th, 2009 09:00

TacticalTimbo1,

First, the USB mouse and keyboard should be plugged into the rear if the PC.

Second, go into the System Setup- Power Management Setup and choose:
ACPI Suspend Type = S3
AC Recovery = On

Third, Vista has three Power Management Settings. You should check these to verify the choices are where you want them.

February 3rd, 2009 07:00

Check, check and checked..yes that's exactly how I've got it but it just doesn't wanna play nice. I just wonder if there are faults or if its just down to dodgy drivers/BIOS, though I'm more inclined to believe its a fault as I don't seem to be able to find others with this precise problem. Still if you have any other ideas I'd be grateful!

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

February 3rd, 2009 08:00

Go into the Device Manager. Open all of them and check for Powersaving tab. If you see one, open it and disable it.

February 9th, 2009 02:00

Sorry do you mean right click on each of the devices and select to disable powersaving? Wouldn't doing this disable sleep mode, cos I want my PC to sleep properly, I just consider it to be a pretty basic function that pretty much all the PCs I've had have been able to perform? Do you know why it is having these issues, is the BIOS or something in need of an update or do you feel it is faulty hardware i.e. the motherboard?

Cheers

176 Posts

February 9th, 2009 05:00

TacticalTimbo1, I believe you will find the solution to your problem in control panel under the power options icon then look in the upper left and select "change when the computer sleeps" then select "change advanced power settings" or "restore default settings for this plan".

February 9th, 2009 06:00

I have been through these settings, yes there are options to shorten and lengthen the amount of time it takes before the PC enters sleep mode or as I've got it now, have it never enter sleep mode. This is the only way to avoid the issue that I've found other than to switch s3 to s1 mode in the BIOS. Doing that is effectively the same as turning sleep mode off, as it only lets the screen turn off, something I do not want. Are people not seeing my issue, it's not that I don't understand how the sleep settings are supposed to work, rather that my Studio XPS doesn't. If the PC does enter sleep mode the only way to get the thing to fire up again is to remove power from the motherboard aka unplug & plug back in the PC. This is not normal and has not happed with any other PC I've ever owned before. I can't see how simply changing the power setting will solve this issue, I did a clean install of vista and didn't mess around with the power setting, I also made sure I used the latest drivers available.

So based on this do you have any other recommendations or just plain advise (I understand this can be hard to give) on what the hardware fault is? I just feel that if it is not hardware related, every person that owns this machine would be on here complaining about this issue.

2 Posts

March 10th, 2009 15:00

Correction I have the exact problem; I think.  The Dell tech told me it was a Vista (64 bit) problem.  I've had the machine (studio xps 435mt) for two weeks, and I thinking of sending it back.  Did you find a solution? 

2 Posts

March 10th, 2009 15:00

I have the exact problem; I think.  The Dell tech told me it was a Vista (64 bit) problem.  I've had the machine (studio xps 455mt) for two weeks, and I thinking of sending it back.  Did you find a solution? 

2 Posts

March 17th, 2009 17:00

Apparently it's not a rare problem.

I have a Dell Studio Desktop X8200 that I just purchased four weeks ago connected to my old CRT monitor, and I'm seelng similar behavior today.  It just started happening out of the blue.

I'm running OpenSUSE Linux on it, and it just goes into powersaving mode at random times now, even when I'm in the middle of typing.   I can log into my machine remotely and everything is working fine, but once it goes into powersaving mode, only physically unplugging it will reset it.    Rebooting the system simply causes it to reboot while remaining in power saving mode.

Obviously, it's not a software issue if the monitor remains in power saving mode after you reset the machine.  I checked the BIOS settings and there's not much there to work with.

And it seems like it's going into powersaving mode more and more frequently.   I read somewhere that it could be a bad motherboard battery, and I guess I'm going to see if pulling that out changes anything.

No Events found!