October 21st, 2012 11:00

Stuttering Problem With Sound And Video

Hello,

I have recently purchased a Dell PC with the following specs:
Vostro 470
Windows 7 professional 64 bit operating system
Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3450 CPU @ 3.10Ghz
8.00 GB RAM

I have had this problem since the first week I got the computer, the problem is when watching YouTube video's or playing video games (Minecraft) the computer image stutters and the sound makes a buzzing sound. I have updated my graphics and video card and went onto to Dell homepage and installed all recommended installs needed. That seemed to work for a couple of hours then it came back (might of been a coincidence). I could put up with it but it is affecting my ability to record video’s for YouTube. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

October 21st, 2012 13:00

Hi Lee,

How about playing video on the hard drive? I've seen an issue similar to this among those running Carbonite. Are you using that?

6 Posts

October 22nd, 2012 11:00

Will check this out tonight and get back to you.

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

October 25th, 2012 10:00

Are you running Carbonite or some other online data backup solution?

6 Posts

Checked it with playing video of hardrive and it does the same stuttering thing and noise, it seemed slightly worse if anything.

6 Posts

Checked it with playing video of hardrive and it does the same stuttering thing and noise, it seemed slightly worse if anything.

6 Posts

October 25th, 2012 12:00

The only thing in regards to backup is the Dell backup and recovery manager.

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

October 25th, 2012 16:00

Ok, then I'd like you to go get Process Explorer. This utility is useful for detecting which process or service is consuming your system resources.

6 Posts

October 26th, 2012 02:00

Should I run this program when the problem is occuring?

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

October 26th, 2012 06:00

Yes. Run it in the background with a video or something playing. See if you can detect what's happening while the stuttering occurs.

October 26th, 2012 08:00

Hi,

1. Please run the Dell Diagnostics on the Audio Card, F12 -> Boot to utility Partition. Hardware Diags open up, Test System -> Custom Test -> Click on plus sign next to Sound / Audio -> Analog Playback Test or something should be there.

2. If the stuttering occurs in Dell Diags, there is a hardware problem.

3. Check the contacts where the speakers are connected, try the speakers on the front audio ports.

4. Try the speakers on a mobile phone / iPod, for stuttering.

5. Run the system Audio Troubleshooter from Win 7 -> Action Center -> Troubleshooting -> Playing Audio -> Rt click Run as Admin -> Next next etc. Some 3rd party codecs can also create problems.

1 Rookie

• 

124 Posts

October 31st, 2012 21:00

Hi,

I have the same system as you, and the exact same problem.

The stuttering happens in streaming audio sites like Pandora, Last.fm and Slacker radio - it makes no difference.

About every 2 minutes or so give or take the audio will stutter for a few seconds and then resume.

CPU usage is next to nothing and only 35% of memory is in use, according to task manager.

It happens whether I'm using Firefox (first 14, then 15, then 16) or IE 9.

The browsers and Flash are all at latest revision level. My drivers are up to date (if you have the nvidia geforce gt620 card, the latest drivers are on the nvidia site).

I'm going to start my own thread once I've done some more troubleshooting, but I just wanted to let you know you're not the only one.

This is really annoying for a brand new system to have this problem.

4.4K Posts

May 16th, 2013 23:00

This thread has been locked due to inactivity.For assistance,with same issue or a different issue,please click New Post on the top right to start a New Thread.            

No Events found!