Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 2nd, 2008 16:00

T3400: BIOS A04 trashed the machine; A05 worked fine

A few weeks ago I tried to update my T3400 to BIOS A04.  It crashed so badly that Dell had to replace the motherboard under warranty.  (Thanks for the quick service, by the way -- the machine was back on the air the next day)

Being a glutton for punishment, I installed A05 today.  Worked almost without a hitch.  The worst problem I had was that the first time I logged in with the new BIOS, the wrong image was displayed as my desktop wallpaper, and even that went away by itself the second time I logged in.

I don't know if my experience is typical.  However, several people have reported major problems with A04 and Dell tech support told me that no problems have been reported with A05.

Community Manager

• 

54.3K Posts

July 22nd, 2008 18:00

arkoenig,

Interesting. I did a search for this and did not come up with much. Do you have any other T3400s in your shop to try A04 on?

20 Posts

July 22nd, 2008 18:00

No such luck, sorry.

There is, however, one unusual aspect of my configuration: I am using a PS/2 keyboard and mouse.  I also have a bunch of other USB devices connected, including two scanners and a music synth module.  I think I did hear that there were issues in A04 that were related to such configurations.

No Events found!