Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

December 9th, 2016 11:00

T3600 PS Boot Warning

I am getting a boot warning that my current confiuration exceeds the capability of the 425W PS.  The confguration change was to add 4x4gb Hynex DDR3 1333mhz RDIMM memory. I was previously running 2x4gb + 2x2gb non registered DDR3 1333mhz sticks.  

Searched the forum and there was a  post, unresolved that RDIMM memory was not supported with the 425W PS, but the source was Crucial, not Dell.

This desktop is configured to be a Photoshop workstation:

Xeon E25-1620 3,6ghz 4 core CPU

4x4gb Hynex DDR3 1333mhz RDIMM memory

Nvidia GTX 750 Ti GPU 2gb

250gb Samsung EVO SSD

1GB Seagate Barracuda 7200rpm HDD

Dell DVD R/W

I used the OuterVision PS Calculator and got the following result:

Load Wattage: 328 W at 90% CPU and 4 hrs/day

Recommended Power Supply: 378 W

Runs cool, no power or heat stress.

Is there really an issue with RDIMM in this workstation or other reason why the PS warning is issued?

Cheers,

Geary

4 Posts

December 14th, 2016 11:00

Ron,

Thanks for your input. I called Dell Tech support.  After much "no idea!", "That's not right!"  and "hemming and hawing" I finally got someone that said "Yeah, that's right, here is a link".  The link  is:  www.dell.com/.../ja

No explanation. No reason.

KCS 604175 - Precision T3600 Power Supply Error After Upgrading Components

Article Summary:

Precision T3600 Power Supply Error after upgrading memory

Table of Contents:

1. Error Message is Displayed After Upgrading Components on the Precision T3600

2. Ensure the Correct Power Supply is Being Used

Problem

Error Message is Displayed After Upgrading Components on the Precision T3600

If a Precision T3600 systems memory is upgraded with Error-Correcting Code (ECC) memory, it will display the an error message stating “power supply does not support the recent configuration changes” if the system is equipped with a 425 watt power supply.

Solution

Ensure the Correct Power Supply is Being Used

The Dell Precision T3600 requires a 635 Watt power supply in order to properly use ECC memory.

Quick Tips content is self-published by the Dell Support Professionals who resolve issues daily. In order to achieve a speedy publication, Quick Tips may represent only partial solutions or work-arounds that are still in development or pending further proof of successfully resolving an issue. As such Quick Tips have not been reviewed, validated or approved by Dell and should be used with appropriate caution. Dell shall not be liable for any loss, including but not limited to loss of data, loss of profit or loss of revenue, which customers may incur by following any procedure or advice set out in the Quick Tips.

Article ID: SLN171815

Last Date Modified: 05/21/2013 12:00 AM

I guess I will look for a 635W power supply!!

Cheers,

Geary

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

December 10th, 2016 14:00

Crucial is usually pretty reliable about RAM recommendations. If you go back to the original RAM config, does it work again?

The T3600 supports 1333 and 1600 DDR3 RDIMM ECC / Non-ECC RAM, up to 64 GB.

The T3600 comes with either a 425 or 635 W power supply so there must be a reason for offering the larger one, and you may have found it, unless there's just something funky about Hynex RAM...

EDIT:

• I gather you added the new RAM along with the old. So if you pull the old RAM out, will it work with the new RAM?
  • If I've done my maths correctly, do we know that the new total of 28 GB is a supported RAM config?
  • You're not mixing ECC and non-ECC RAM?

4 Posts

December 10th, 2016 22:00

Thank you for the response.

The Hynix memory passed the memory tests in the T3600 without issue.  The desktop runs fine and passes all diagnostic tests without issue.  Booting just hangs up with the PS warning and requires pressing "F1" to continue. Once "F1" is pressed, booting is successfully completed and the desktop performs as expected.

>I gather you added the new RAM along with the old. So if you pull the old RAM out, will it work with the new RAM?

No. Replaced the original 4 sticks with 4x4gb Hynix RAM for a total of 16gb. I will try again with the original RAM when I return from the weekend.

>If I've done my maths correctly, do we know that the new total of 28 GB is a supported RAM config?

No. Went from 12gb to 16gb. Yes,16gb is a supported RAM configuration.

You're not mixing ECC and non-ECC RAM?

No. Not mixing ECC and non-ECC, 4 identical Hynix 4gb ECC sticks.

Just seems quite odd that going from non reg to reg RAM would substantially effect the power supply enough to need an additional 210 watts.

Cheers,

Geary

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

December 11th, 2016 11:00

The confguration change was to add 4x4gb Hynex DDR3 1333mhz RDIMM memory.

You did say you "added" the Hynex RAM, so I assumed you hadn't removed the old RAM.

Possibly the Hynex draws more current and/or your PSU is ailing..??

4 Posts

December 11th, 2016 20:00

I put the original memory configuration, (2x2gb + 2x4gb unregistered), back in the workstation.  After the initial boot warning that the RAM configuration had changed, boots from that point were free of the "PS does not support"  

I then tried the new Hynix RDimms  with 1x4gb and 2x4gb configurations.  Same "PS does not support the configuration" warning. All of the RDIMM configurations, 4x4gb, 2x4gb and 1x4gb passed the memory diagnostics.  All configurations worked without issue once the boot warning was cleared by pressing "F1".

I can find no mention of power supply issues configuring the T3600 with RDIMM's in the owner's manual or the tech spec guide. The memory datasheets and specifications show the same voltage parameters and no addition amperage draw, UDIMM verus RDIMM.

Is there anyone within the Dell technical or engineering community that can address and clarify this issue?

Hate to drop more $$$ on a 635w PS, when, from a wattage standpoint, my desired configuration should not need the additional wattage.

Cheers,

Geary

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

December 11th, 2016 22:00

What voltage is the Hynix RDIMM RAM, 1.35 or 1.5V? If it's 1.5V, maybe 1.35V RAM would work, since the T3600 can use either voltage RAM...??

This is mainly a user-to-user forum, so I don't know if you'll get a response from anyone inside Dell. Maybe another user will have some info.

If the system is still under warranty, a call to Dell Tech Support might get you some answers...

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

December 14th, 2016 13:00

So I was right, ECC RAM requires the bigger PSU...

Would it be cheaper/easier to get 4x4GB of NON-ECC RAM and either return (if possible) or sell the Hynix 4x4 GB ECC RAM somewhere like eBay ? Or is there some reason you need ECC RAM?

And if you get 4x4GB NON-ECC, you could probably still use the old 2x4 GB and 2x2 GB NON-ECC to give you 28GB, assuming 28 is a support configuration.

No Events found!