Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

October 31st, 2016 18:00

T3600 will not boot with DIMM3 or DIMM4 sockets populated after CPU upgrade

Hello,

I have a T3600 workstation with an Xeon e5-1607 CPU and 16 GB of RAM (4 x 4GB). After researching through the Technical specifications, I upgraded to an E5-2665 processor and purchased a 32GB Kit (4 x 8GB) of RAM.  I installed the CPU, and I can get the machine to boot with 16GB ram - 8 GB each in slots Dimm1 and Dimm2.  However, when I put RAM into either DIMM3 or DIMM4, the machine powers on for a few seconds, then shuts down.  If I put RAM in all four DIMMs, the machine powers on, and the power light stays steady lit but does not BOOT.

According to the technical specifications manual, the machine should work with up to 64GB of memory.  The spec says "32GB (4 x 8 GB) DDR3, 16000 MHz"  (I'm assuming the 16000 is a misprint.)  I purchased a 32 GB kit of 4 x 8GB DDR3 1600 2Rx8 CL 11 1.35v RDIMM ECC memory.  BTW:  This is also what is recommended on the Crucial memory scan page.  (DDR3 PC3-12800 • CL=11 • Dual Ranked • x8 based • Registered • ECC • DDR3-1600 • 1.35V • 1024Meg x 72)

My first thought is the power supply.  However, I checked the original configuration using the service tag, and the original configuration power supply is 635W 90% PS.  There is a RAID controller and a 512MB NVidia Quadro NVS 300 card and only one 500GB SATA 7200 drive.  Hardly enough to overpower the power supply.

I tried installing two of the original DIMM's in banks 3 and 4, but got the same behavior.

I reset the BIOS to default settings, and have searched for but have been unable to find anywhere in the BIOS to change memory timing or voltage settings.

Why does only 16GB work, and does anyone know how I can get all four DIMM banks to work with 8GB DIMM's?

UPDATE:

When I install RAM in all four banks, the machine doesn't shut off and the power light stays steady lit.  This happens no matter if I have all four of the new 4 x 8 RAM modules installed or the original 4 x 4 modules installed. This leads me to suspect the problem may lie with the CPU as that is the only other new component. However, I ran a full diagnostic on the CPU and it passed with no issues.

To test for a possible power issue , I removed the RAID controller, but the above behavior does not change.

Also, I have verified by part number that the 635W PS is installed, and I did previously upgrade the BIOS to v. A14.

Thank you!

4 Posts

November 3rd, 2016 15:00

Replacing the processor resolved the problem.  Thank you for your assistance.

2 Intern

• 

1.2K Posts

November 1st, 2016 05:00

Hi JimR5467

Thank you for reaching out to Dell Community Forum.

Please try three memory slots at a time and check if the system boots.

Please click my DELL-username and send me a Private Message with the Dell Service Tag number and your email address.

Note: please don't mention the service tag or email id on the public forum as it contains your personal information

4 Posts

November 1st, 2016 11:00

With three RAM sticks (slots 1,2, & 3), the machine goes into a loop. I hear the system fans start up for about 10 seconds and see the light on the power button illuminate white, then the machine completely shuts down.  About four seconds later, the machine powers up, then shuts down, etc.  I do not see anything on the monitor, and the monitor remains in standby mode.  There is no system speaker so I do not know if there are any error code beeps.  Also, the BIOS mode is set to remain off after loss of power.

2 Intern

• 

1.2K Posts

November 2nd, 2016 09:00

Hi JimR5467

We have responded to your private message.

4 Posts

November 2nd, 2016 18:00

Looks like the problem was a bad processor.  I've contacted our vendor and they are sending a replacement.  If that does not fix the problem, I will reply back.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

November 7th, 2016 05:00

Hi JimR5467

Thank you for your reply and keeping posted regarding the issue resolution.Do get back to us if there are any other issues.

Thanks

Robin

3 Posts

April 9th, 2017 13:00

You should carefully look at the socket - most likely You have net some pins while changing CPU

No Events found!