Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

May 31st, 2012 01:00

T7400 Thermal overload

Hi

Wondered if anyone could shed some light on this.  I've just bought an old T7400 with the E5410 processor with the intention of upgrading to the E5450 (see other post).  the workstation boots ok but after a little while it just shuts down.  Even when I run the diagnostics, some time into it (no particular place), the screen turns off and then the pc turns off.  Two other things give me a clue...

1) several times when I turned it on nothing came up on screen, the fans just got faster and faster, sounded like a jet taking off.  Until I just turned it off myself.

2) I saw a 'thermal ....' message on boot a few times.

I'm thinking something is getting hot and it's shutting down, my plan of action tonight is...

1) Take heatsink off of processor and clean up, refit with thermal paste to improve the connection.

2) Try a different graphics card

3) take out half of the current 4gb memory

Does anyone have any other ideas?

Thanks in advance

Si

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

May 31st, 2012 15:00

The memory may be a problem, but probably not a "thermal" problem.  

Dell's have a history of compatibility with some brands of memory.  Not all have it, one of a certain model can have the problem and another of the same model will not have the problem.  Crucial memory is what most of the techies on here recommend for non-Dell memory as it is guaranteed to work in Dell's.

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

May 31st, 2012 05:00

I would only do one thing at a time, starting with new thermal paste (Actic Silver is best).  If you do everything at one time you won't know what caused the problem.

13 Posts

May 31st, 2012 06:00

Yes, that was my intention.  I have just spoken to the previous owner and he said...

'...one thing I did add at the last min was the RAM, I looked before I listed it and thought it had 4 sticks of 1gbin, they were actually 512mb(2gb rather than 4gb), I replaced all 4 before you collected with 1gb sticks....'

So.  I might take out a couple of the mem sticks tonight first, maybe two of them are not correct.  He mentions two have silver heatsinks and two don't!  That might be the problem.

13 Posts

June 1st, 2012 05:00

Solved.  It was the memory, I took out the two odd ones and it runs fine but with only 2gb, guy is sending me replacements.

Regarding the thermal message, the precision workstation has a switch on the side cover so it knows when it's open, that's all that was.  If you start up with the side off, the fans run flat out and it displays a thermal compromise msg.  Now to look on ebay for some good memory to increase from 2 to 4 to ......and so on!

After this, I will be looking for only decent workstation memory after the seller has confirmed it will work on my Dell.  I need to get it to run faster than my Duo Quad pc before I swap over.

Thank you for the help.

No Events found!