Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

October 18th, 2017 06:00

T7500 Boot Issue (No POST?) - Solid Lights 1 or 1-3 - Beeps 1-3-2 - Intermittent issue

Hi

I have a problem with a T7500 tower.

The unit doesn't pass the POST, bringing the solid light 1 and the 1-3-2 beeps code.  I guess I have the S8 code with the light:

It would seem to be a RAM memory issue.  If I remove the RAM in slot 1 and live the 2nd RAM in slot 2, it moves to light 1-3 issue with the same 1-3-2 beep code:

If I move the 2nd RAM in slot 1, I still have light 1-3 code and 1-3-2 beep code.

If I replace the 2nd RAM by the first RAM in slot 1, still 1-3 light code and 1-3-2 beep code.

If I place the 2 RAM in slot 2 and 3, I'm back to 1 light code and 1-3-2 beep code.

Using slot 1 & 3 gives the same light 1 code and 1-3-2 beep code.

Any use of slot 4, 5 or 6 brings the lights 1-3 solid on and 1-3-2 beep code which after reading the documentation seems normal (slot 1, 2 and 3 should be filled first).

However the unit will boot, pass the POST and BIOS if it is not used for few days.

I know that the BIOS is on version A16.

I've tried the Power Supply Diagnostic, which passed successful:

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/desktop/f/3514/t/19628318

With all that I think it is hardware issue, but I don't understand why I can't succeed the POST with 1 RAM memory.

Or is the problem elsewhere e.g power supply or motherboard?

I'll try the memory test next time I can boot.

Any help will be appreciated.

Regards

Matt

12 Posts

November 13th, 2017 04:00

Hi all

For anyone who may face a similar issue at some point, I got the issue down:

I ordered new motherboard and a new set of 16gbx2 ram memory.

My first test was the old motherboard and the new ram modules, the issue remained.

My second test was the new motherboard and the old ram modules, the issue was gone. Did a last test with the new motherboard and the new ram modules, of course no issue.

So defective motherboard was the source.

Many thanks for those who tried to help.

Regards

Matt

9.4K Posts

October 18th, 2017 07:00

Hi Joyfik,

Thanks for posting.

Apologies that your system isn't running as expected.

Please perform a Diagnostics test either by pressing F12 at startup or by using the Dell Support Assist, make a note of any errors, and contact Tech Support for troubleshooting and possible resolution.  You can contact Tech Support at 1-800-624-9896 or 1-800-288-4410, or you can initiate a chat session http://dell.to/2v4snVm

12 Posts

October 21st, 2017 12:00

Hi Robert

Thank you for your reply.

I've just been able to run the Diagnostic:

Regarding the 3 alerts, this is due to me removing some component to try to find the source of the issue.  The computer started playing funny before.

Then I pressed F5 and the screen freezes here:

Also I've another T3500 working perfectly so I took the 4 RAM modules (4 GB each) and plugged them in slot 1, 2, 3 and 4.  I had the light 1 code and the 1-3-2 beep code.  I removed each module one by one starting from slot 4 to slot 1 and got the same error up to slot 1.   When I have only 1 module in slot 1, I have the light 1-3 code and the 1-3-2 beep code.

However the diagnostic page shows that these 4GB module aren't compatible (Non-ECC modules) so I can't rely on that test:

(top is one the 4 4GB non ECC modules and the bottom is one of the 2 original 16GB modules, the second being tested at the time of the picture).

Any advice regarding what is faulty (the 2 RAM modules? the motherboard?) are much appreciated.

I had a photo of the BIOS taken 4 days ago:

Many thanks

Kind regard

Matt

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

October 21st, 2017 17:00

Seems to be a lot of keyboard errors. Can you test this keyboard on a different PC or a different keyboard on this PC? At the minimum, connect this keyboard to a different rear USB2 port, but check it to see if there are any stuck keys first.

When was last time you replaced motherboard battery?

Try clearing BIOS to delete all the error messages: Power off, unplug and press/hold power button for ~15 sec. Open case and remove motherboard battery. Press/hold power button for ~30 sec. Reseat ALL RAM modules in their slots and reseat all PCI-e cards, including video, too. Reinstall battery (time for a fresh one?) and close up. Try to boot with only mouse, monitor and keyboard connected.

12 Posts

October 22nd, 2017 06:00

Hi Ron

Thanks for your help.

I guess the keyboard errors are when I started the computer with no keyboard :(

The keyboard is a Wireless Logitech K400+, I plugged in on 2 laptops and a Precision T3500 with no issue.  I'll keep your idea of plugin it on the back, as I always plugged it on the front.

I changed the battery in August.  It was my first thought to have it change.  But I replaced it with one that I have for few years in the draw so I'm wondering if I shouldn't buy brand new one.

I've done the BIOS clearing by following this (step 3):

www.lifewire.com/fix-stopping-freezing-and-reboot-issues-during-the-post-2624441

Kind regards

Matt

9.4K Posts

October 23rd, 2017 04:00

At this point, it may be best to contact Tech Support.   You can contact Tech Support at 1-800-624-9896 or 1-800-288-4410, or you can initiate a chat session http://dell.to/2v4snVm

12 Posts

October 23rd, 2017 06:00

Hi Robert

Thanks for your advice.

I would need the service tag which isn't recognised on the system.

Also it is a second hand computer and I guess out of warranty.

My action plan for now is:

1. change the CMOS battery for a brand new one again (just ordered)

2. run the diagnostic with the second RAM module.

If neither help, I guess I've to replace either the RAM module or the motherboard I just wished to find out which one would be faulty.

Kind regards

Matt

No Events found!