Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

March 15th, 2015 15:00

T7500 precision Desktop startup problem after Bios update to A16

Hello,

Yesterday I formatted my computer to install a fresh version of Windows 7 Professional, this computer was sold to me by the IT department from my work, I didnt had a restoration disk and the PC was formatted before by them.

Anyways, as I finished installing windows, I started to look for the drivers on the Dell Support website, I encountered some of them and used the dell utility to choose which of them were fit for my pc.

To make the story short, I ended up Updating the Bios to A16.

Ever since, when you start the computer or restart, the computer enters an on and off cycle for several times, not showing anything on the screen after 10 times or so, it shows the boot info and starts normally.

The BIOS update went ok, it even shows the new version on the first screen info.

Is this a common problem? if so, how can I fix it, would rolling back the BIOS to a previous version work?

Thanks in Advance, Im very desperate about this situation.

Eduardo

5 Posts

March 16th, 2015 00:00

Well, seems like I solved it, I downgraded the BIOS to the A9 version, and now the computer boots like before, what a relief.

Lesson learned.

5 Posts

March 16th, 2015 09:00

So last night I decided to downgrade the BIOS even more and went to A09, the computer started to boot normally again.. what a relief.

Lesson learned.

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

March 15th, 2015 21:00

Check BIOS settings to make sure the boot hard drive is first in boot sequence. If available, try disabling USB boot support....

How is SATA Mode (aka: SATA Operation) set in BIOS setup?

Pity you didn't copy down all the existing BIOS settings before you did the flash update...

5 Posts

March 15th, 2015 22:00

Hello ROHE, I appreciate your help,

A pity it was indeed... Anyways,  SATA operation is set up as AHCI and have HD as first in boot sequence, also disabled USB boot support as suggested.

I downgraded the BIOS to A13, but I still get the same behavior. I just counted exact 10 times the power cycles on and off, and the panel at the front of the computer stays with leds 3 4 lit then it shuts off and on again.

Thanks, any input is appreciated.

Eduardo

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

March 16th, 2015 12:00

Is this single or dual CPU configuration?

Reboot and press F8. Select Safe Mode+Networking from the menu. Does that work correctly?

Did you try reseating all the RAM modules, PCI cards, riser (if present) etc in their slots?

3,4 may be a RAM issue, so if reseating the modules doesn't help, you may want to test them one at a time in slot 1 (furthest from CPU) to see if you can identify a bum module.

After removing all RAM modules, except slot 1, clear BIOS by removing motherboard battery and pressing/holding power button for ~30 sec, then reinstall the battery and see if it boots properly now. It that works, swap all of them into slot 1.

If they all work in slot 1, add one to slot 2 and test, then slot 3... until either you identity a bad module (or bad slot) or you get them all re-installed and working correctly.

BTW: Before clearing BIOS (see above), reboot and press F2 to open BIOS setup. Copy down all the current BIOS settings because removing the battery resets BIOS to the default settings. And you may eventually have to change the defaults back to the settings you wrote down.

1 Message

December 15th, 2015 02:00

I have exactly the same problem. Have you managed to solve? if so, tell me how you did, I would like to update the BIOS.
Sorry for my English google.

No Events found!