7 Plutonium

RE: T7600 - NVMe supported?

Jump to solution

It is possible to have Class 1 or Class 2.0  UEFI.   Class 2.3.1  or 3 UEFI isnt the same. The INTEL C600 Series Chipset does not support DUAL X16 slots AND NVME PCI-E 3.0.  You do not have INTEL97,99, 100 Series Chipset and therefore the answer is No you don't have it and No you never will.

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/solid-state-drives/000005967.html

Using an NVMe device to boot a computer system requires the following:

• A system BIOS configured to enable uEFI* version 2.3.1 and support NVMe boot
  • A system based on an Intel® Z97 or X99 Chipset
  • A 64-bit operating system that supports UEFI 2.3.1  Windows* 7, 8 or 8.1
  • For Windows 7, the CSM in the system BIOS might need to be set
  • The Intel® NVMe driver

Report Unresolved Customer Service Issues
here

I do not work for Dell. I too am a user.

The forum is primarily user to user, with Dell employees moderating
Contact USA Technical Support

Get Support on Twitter @DellCaresPro

elshawadfy
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

Thank you very very much @SpeedStep For all the info, I really appretiate it..

But I'm a little confused though.. these are some snapshots from the BIOS settings, maybe they can shed some more light on the matter:

I don't know which UEFI version is it ??

Again I'm really grateful to you for taking all the time and effort..

0 Kudos
7 Plutonium

Jump to solution

UEFI 2.3.1 is only 1 required piece.   The chipset being 97,99 or 100 series is not optional.

The XPS 8900 has NVME and UEFI 2.3.1.

NVME is not native to windows until 8.1 and that came out in 2013.  The e in NVMe  is express as in PCI-E 3.0  the chipset on the 7600 is PCI-E 2.0

Report Unresolved Customer Service Issues
here

I do not work for Dell. I too am a user.

The forum is primarily user to user, with Dell employees moderating
Contact USA Technical Support

Get Support on Twitter @DellCaresPro

Hakanaiseishin
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Speedstep, you are partially incorrect. You do not need specific chipsets. I boot NVMe on a Precision T5500 using Tianocore UEFI emulator. This machine doesn't even have PCIe 3.0, so i do lose some performance. You can boot this from a drive, cd, or USB. However, I have tested it on the T5600 and the built in UEFI conflicts with the Tianocore UEFI so it hangs. This is probably true for the T7600 as well. I just wanted to clarify for the other readers that NVMe is in no way dependant on a chipset. In fact there is a guy named Juha I believe who ripped the bios chip off the T5600 motherboard and inserted the 3 minuscule lines of code that enable NVMe into the BIOS and re-attached the chip. If Dell didn't sign their BIOS we could have just flashed it and everyone could enjoy NVMe. It's really sad that these older machines are left in the dark because Dell can't make a minor bios update, when in reality they are great machines. My T5500 with 2x X5690's destroys most 6th gen i series CPUs with ease, the PC feels so fast.

0 Kudos