Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 12th, 2011 03:00

Targeted Read Test Failed

Hello

I have just ran a PC Check up scan & it has informed me of a targeted read test failure, could someone please let me know if this is serious & how to possibly go about fixing the problem if it actually requires fixing as it seems to have only happened once that I can see

The computer still seems to be working fine (fingers crossed) at the moment, I have had a look at the scan results & found it relates to the hard drive, if you need any more info please let me know

Inspiron 518

Bios Version 1.0.5

Hard drive: Hitachi HDP725050GLA360 ATA Device

Target Read Test Results: error while reading sector 33238537

the test found 1 sector errors

All other test passed

Thanks in advance

Alex

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

April 12th, 2011 04:00

It was a read test at one location on the hard drive.  As this only happened one time (I assume you ran the test more than once from your post) I wouldn't get concerned.  However, if it consistently fails at that location it is a bad location on the hard drive.  When a hard drive is first initialized one of the things that is done is any bad locations on the hard drive (most have bad spots) are flagged and they are not used. 

2 Posts

April 13th, 2011 06:00

Hi Fireberd

Yes I have ran the test a few times & it keeps failing the same sector over & over, but if most hard drives have bad spots then I guess this is something not to worry too much about.

Thanks for your help

Alex

675 Posts

April 16th, 2011 14:00

One of my data (non-boot) drives failed the Dell PC Checkup targeted read test as well as WD's Diagnostics similar tests. It appears to be functioning normally, except that  ti seems to get stuck when defragging (I use Diskeeper Pro Premier) and when I ran chkdsk it got stuck on one sector. There were no error messages, it just stopped and the clock kept ticking.

Should I RMA this drive? (All data is backed up but it's my primary data drive, which means I access it all the time).

My system is a Dell Studio XPS 9100, Win 7 Pro.

dg

675 Posts

April 16th, 2011 15:00

Thanks for confirming my suspicions, Bev.  It's certainly not a disaster, but an inconvenience.

dg

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

April 16th, 2011 15:00

dg27

Yes, you need to replace the hard drive.

Bev.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

April 16th, 2011 16:00

dg27

You are welcome.

Bev.

No Events found!