Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 22nd, 2008 16:00

Thanx DCF for {Team_XPS} Anniversary gift !!!

Team_XPS came to life one year ago.

We started a thread called Folding@Home : Team XPS   here:

http://www.dellcommunity.com/supportforums/board/message?board.id=Tech_Talk_XPS&thread.id=7308&view=by_date_ascending&page=1

Thanx to ChrisM and LionelM and others on DCF, our thread was stickied to promote Team_XPS for Humanity's sake.  Folding@Home is a wonderful project that aims to help Scinece find cures to diseases like Alzheimer's, Lou Gehrig's and HUntington's.

The project itself started in 2000 and has grown to well over a million participants making up over 130,000 teams around the globe in over 100 countries.

Team_XPS became one year old this month, and our thread will become one year old in two days.

We would have loved to have kept our thread still stickied here.  But for some unknown and unannounced reason, today our thread is not a sticky anymore.

* We, the members of Team_XPS hereby request that our old thread be re-stickied on this board.

> Any input from DCF Mods and Team_XPS members are all welcome in this thread.

Peace

Message Edited by MoneyGuyBK on 07-22-2008 10:35 AM

287 Posts

What sort of message is Dell sending out here?

The people that fold do so from a great sense of community, and the willingness to want to help others.

A stickie costs Dell nothing.

Please put it back.

50 Posts

Me too!  Had that thread not been there, I doubt I would have ever found out about Folding@Home.  It's a great project and worthy of promoting.  Please resticky!

Grey Ferret

513 Posts

Please resticky!

The stuck thread is the way I learned of the project. 

414 Posts

Perhaps it's time to rename the team since Dell has shown such little care or support for the project?

155 Posts

July 22nd, 2008 17:00

Dell has shown that it cares nothing for a community spirit or goodwill toward mankind but that the only thing that matters is profit.  Dell's narrow way of thinking doesn't consider that the negligible cost the folding@home team traffic generates will result in widespread benefit for everyone, including the Dell folk.

513 Posts

July 22nd, 2008 18:00

Let's assume that the thread became unglued simply as a matter of oversight or some sort of automatic software function. 

I doubt someone made an affirmative decision that Dell doesn't care about Stanford's project so the thread should be unstickied.

87 Posts

I agree--this is something that benefits everyone, and should be restored. That's not asking too much.

1.2K Posts

The sticky is the best tool we have for increasing participation in the folding effort, and therefore hastening the day when important medical breakthroughs will be made.  Its also free goodwill for Dell and the XPS brand.  Surely folding at home is more important than a blinking LED on the 630 (currently the subject of a sticky)! :smileysurprised:
Message Edited by Aivas47a on 07-22-2008 02:20 PM

2.3K Posts

July 22nd, 2008 19:00

:smileyvery-happy:  :smileytongue:

Peace

2.3K Posts

The assumption was correct, we are back in business :)

It was not intentional guys... just a sn-hiccup-afu.......

Please show your appreciation to Dell and DCF and all the mods :)

Kudo$ and Thanx and Appreciation to all at Dell/DCF, including but not limited to:

Natalie, Chris, Bill, Lionel, The two Johns, Larry, Jimmy, Gina, and many more!!! :smileyvery-happy:

Peace

Message Edited by MoneyGuyBK on 07-22-2008 01:26 PM

1.2K Posts

I too agree that the thread should be restickied as sign that Dell supports not only its participating DCF members but supports the Folding Project as a whole. Supposedly Dell has some sort of sponsorhip affiliation with the Folding Project, but that certainly has never been reflected with any direct support for the team other than Lionel Blog posts.

2.3K Posts

July 22nd, 2008 21:00

Glad to hear that we will have you as a new addition because of this.

Let us know at the Official thread on DCF or at RSF if we can help.

Also, this will be a good time to glance over our how-tos.

Peace

CaboWaboMan wrote:
When my 730 arrives I am so in on this..good job folks!!!

19 Posts

July 22nd, 2008 21:00

When my 730 arrives I am so in on this..good job folks!!!
Message Edited by CaboWaboMan on 07-22-2008 05:31 PM

807 Posts

July 22nd, 2008 22:00

Thanks for throwing our thread back up to the top. The team really appreciates it! And so does the Folding project! :smileywink:

26 Posts

July 23rd, 2008 01:00

For any new (or old) Dell and non-Dell users viewing this, PLEASE:

Check out the TEAM-XPS sticky on the XPS thread above, or http://forums.rampantspeculation.com/

Team Members from TEAM XPS and THOUSANDS of other teams, that include literally millions of PC's from around the world are devoted to helping YOUR friends, YOUR family, and ours to stop suffering and find cures for dibilitating diseases.

Folding at Home is a project run by Stanford University that uses distributed processing, to Crunch, Verify and Solve these diseases. . See more here: http://folding.stanford.edu/

Cancers, Alzheimers and others are being attacked via the Stanford Folding Project.

What does this cost you?  Idle CPU time.  That is all.  Many of the TEAM_XPS members like you, have friends and family that have suffered.  Idle time is all you have to donate.

If nothing else, great competion and comradre is available.

Thanks to those of you at Dell that have allowed our sticky to remain. 

Happy Anniversary DELL!

Happy Anniversary TEAM_XPS!

No Events found!