Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 12th, 2009 08:00

The back of my computer's panel where ports are located came off (but I still have the panel), can I fix it?

The connector for the Screen to the computer also fell off (wires are showing from where the screen connector was hooked into the computer), but I still have my cable that connects to my screen from the computer, can the connector be re-installed?

My computer is a Dell Dimension 4600i (almost 6 years old) with an 80 GB HD, 512 MB of Memory, and has Windows XP (with all the latest updates installed) as its OS.

Photos of problem added on Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/danielhoz/sets/72157622986266222/

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

December 12th, 2009 10:00

It looks bad with the video connector off.  I would say take it to a PC repair shop and see if they can "patch it up".  Otherwise it will take a new motherboard and as that is a Dell proprietary motherboard and only another 4600i will fit, I would weigh repairing it or replacing it.  A 6 year old PC, generally, in that condition is not worth repairing.  By the time you spend the $$ to get it repaired you are well on the way to what a new PC will cost and when you do get it fixed you still have an "old technology" PC. 

There was an article in the local paper about two years ago about whether to repair or replace applicances and it stated if a PC is 3 years old, or older, do not repair - replace.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

December 12th, 2009 12:00

Daniel_Hoz

You could install an AGP graphics card for the monitor.

Bev. 

No Events found!