Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 22nd, 2011 05:00

Three Monitor Options for Optiplex 780?

We have about 25 users who require 3 monitor support for real-time data analysis and tracking. These users do not fall into our workstation requirement group. IE, they would come nowhere near needing the performance availability of a workstation, albeit the necessity of the three monitors.  So its hard to justify one for their needs.

I am hoping there is a sound option available for providing Optiplex 780 and 760 users with support for three monitors. I should note, these are the Desktop models, the second smallest available which probably makes the choices that much more limited. Currently we run off the standard ati DVI and use the y-vga adapter allowing them their two monitors. If we add a second low-profile video card with vga connector, would the system allow three monitor's to be active? (windows xp and windows 7). I do not see a low-profile card that would allow two monitors off the dvi (vga y adapater) plus a standalone vga.

Any recommendations on how to accomplish this without a rip and replace?

Thanks guys!

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

February 12th, 2016 15:00

DVI -A Dual Link can feed 1 VGA and 1 DVI-D (DIGITAL Only) with the X2026 cable.  You cannot convert DVI-D to vga DVI Dual Link has 1 vga 1 DVI not 2 vga or 2 DVI.

The 4 DVI card CAN NEVER DO ANY VGA because its DIGITAL ONLY aka 4 x  DVI-D.  DVI-D is missing 5 pins for Analog Red Green Blue Sync and ground.  DVI to VGA cables need DVI-A /DVI-I

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

November 30th, 2016 11:00

4 Posts

November 30th, 2016 11:00

Which cards?

3 Posts

November 30th, 2016 14:00

Just to clarify information here, Dual Link DVI refers to the possible resolutions and refresh rates supported, up to 2560x1600 @ 60Hz, or 120Hz at 1920x1200for Dual Link.  24 bit colour modes and 165MHz pixel clocks must use Dual Link as welll.  

Having both digital and analog signals in the same cable refers to DVI-I.

No Events found!