Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

May 3rd, 2017 08:00

Thunderbolt add-in card for T7810 workstation?

I have a T7810 workstation and an Apple Thunderbolt display that I'd like to use with it. 

What I've learned is that whether or not your system can support thunderbolt depends on the motherboard. Most systems don't support it. I'm lucky. My motherboard supports it.

There are instructions here on how to install a "Thunderbolt add-in card"

But I cannot find the model number of this card anywhere. I cannot find where to purchase it from the Dell website. I've talked to support in chat and they couldn't tell me where I could get it. I can't reach anyone at Dell who seems to have any idea about it.

Can anyone tell me what this card is so that I can buy it? 

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

May 8th, 2017 12:00

The 7HMHP definitely looks like the HP version of the card.

http://www8.hp.com/us/en/products/oas/product-detail.html?oid=6946210

That doesn't cover the GPIO and Display port cables however.

These are NOT optional.

EUREKA  BAM! Got the parts List

540-BBJC    UK version

540-BBIO     USA version

Interface cards/adapters Thunderbolt PCIe card for DELL Precision 1700, 5810

GGTXK  is the Display port wrap thru cable.

NK4P3 is the GPIO cable to the motherboard.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/NEW-Dell-7HMHP-GGTXK-NK4P3-540-BBJC-Thunderbolt-PCIe-x1-Card-Full-Height-Kit-/401098315998

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

August 29th, 2017 09:00

There is a thunderbolt header on the boards that support it.  Even with that the card MUST GO into specific SLOT.  The card has 2 cables one internal and one external.

http://topics-cdn.dell.com/pdf/precision-t5810-workstation_White%20Papers3_en-us.pdf

Dell Precision Tower 5810/7810/7910/1700MT/1700SFF/3620MT
and Rack 7910
Thunderbolt Add-In-Cards Setup Guide
Setting up the Thunderbolt Add-In-Card

This section describes in brief on how to install the thunderbolt add-in-cards on a Dell Precision Tower 5810, 7810, 7910, Rack 7910, T1700
MT, T1700 SFF and 3620 MT.
Pre-requisite actions before setting up a Thunderbolt card:
To utilize a Thunderbolt Add-In-Card (AIC) make sure you have a compatible Thunderbolt system board.
Install Thunderbolt software before installing the Add-In-Card (AIC). To download the software for install, go to
dell.com/support
NOTE
:
Thunderbolt card supports windows operating system only. Linux operating system is not supported.
To setup a Thunderbolt Add-In-Card
1 Connect the GPIO cable to the GPIO header on the system board.
There is a 5-Pin keyed GPIO cable, one end goes to the card, and the other end goes to the GPIO header on the system board. The GPIO cable is NK4P3
For Precision
Tower 7910:
the Thunderbolt AIC is placed in CPU1 slot 3
For PrecisionTower 5810/T7810
: the Thunderbolt AIC is placed in CPU1 slot 5
For Precision
Rack 7910: the Thunderbolt AIC NOT supported
For Precision  T1700 MT
: the Thunderbolt AIC is placed in slot 4
For Precision  T1700 SFF
: the Thunderbolt AIC is placed in slot 1
For Precision  T3620 MT
: the Thunderbolt add in card (AIC) is placed in slot 3

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

May 3rd, 2017 10:00

Best is to contact Dell Spare Parts -- 1-800-357-3355

13 Posts

May 8th, 2017 11:00

Welcome to the frustration.  Dell Thunderbolt 2 add in cards do not exist on the web. I tried calling dell and they had nothing to offer. From what I understand the HP model is the same. Just make sure it comes with the adapter that plugs into the thunderbolt header on your MB.  I researched this into the ground and this is based on 2 things. Pictures from real dell TB2 add in card sold years ago VS the pics of the HP model. Also on amazon for $160 the reviews say it does work in Dell as long as your MB has the proper header. (T7810 does have it).  Hope that helps.   Good luck dell totally dropped the ball on this one as far as can tell.   HP - Thunderbolt Adapter (F3F43AT)  on amazon.

13 Posts

By the way the actual Dell part number is 7HMHP

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

ANY card ONLY works in SPECIFIC Slots and a CARD does NOT include the 5 Pin GPIO cable that goes to the motherboard.  Without that cable the card is non functional.  Thats why there are ASUS and HP and DELL etc Models.  There is also an EXTERNAL WRAP Thru cable for display port.

3 Posts

May 16th, 2017 07:00

Thanks for your help. This is it. Unfortunately before I saw your post I purchased the HP card, the F3F43AT and just tried installing it but it's missing the NK4P3 cable as you correctly pointed out that it would. Is this something I could call Dell and order from them. If not do you know where I might find one? I found one on e-bay (just the cable) and they want like 50 bucks for it. I'd be better off soldering it together myself at that price, if I could find the pinout.

3 Posts

August 11th, 2017 10:00

Just a quick update for any future googler's who might be trying to solve the same problem.

I am now using my Dell 7810 desktop with my 27" Thunderbolt display. Here are things I learned along the way:

1. You cannot simply pop a thunderbolt card into any system and get thunderbolt support. Your motherboard must support it. The T7810 that I have happens to support it.

2. Dell does not seem to sell the thunderbolt card anymore.

3. The HP card (F3F43AT) works, but does not include the NK4P3 cable. If you can find your own NK4P3 cable installation takes about 5 minutes.

August 29th, 2017 06:00

Hey! I have a Dell T7910 Workstation.  How can you tell if your motherboard supports Thunderbolt?  Is there a lightning icon or something that I'm just missing?

Thanks!

September 25th, 2017 10:00

So I ended up purchasing the HP add in card and put it in my computer.  The correct cable does not come with it, but the kit includes 3 variations of connectors that could be used so I was able to remove the pins out of the other connects to make the 5-pin cable like Dell has.  However, I installed the card and Dell TB software but the computer is not recognizing my device.  Any ideas how I can begin troubleshooting?

Thanks!

No Events found!