Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 11th, 2008 18:00

Trouble adding a Western Digital Firewire board to Dimension 3100

I have a slot that looks like the Firewire board should fit, but things aren't lining up.  Am I trying to do something that's not possible or am I missing something in the installation?

Thanks!

Carol

3.4K Posts

December 11th, 2008 20:00

Hello,

More information please?

At least tell us the brand and model number of the card so that we can look it up.

4 Posts

December 12th, 2008 06:00

MDL: WDAD004-RNW

S/N: WUAE30002314

If this won't fit, can you suggest another board that will?

Thanks.

Carol

3.4K Posts

December 12th, 2008 15:00

Hello again,

That board is a regular PCI, that will fit in one of your two PCI slots.

Here is a picture of your motherboard. The two PCI slots are numbered 13. The card will work with Windows 98 and up to Windows XP. No Vista support is shown.

Here is a picture and description of how to install the card.

4 Posts

December 13th, 2008 07:00

Thanks for the help, Darrell!  I'll work on it this weekend and post my results.

Carol

4 Posts

September 18th, 2009 21:00

Okay, it's only taken me NINE MONTHS to install this Western Digital WDAD004-RNW board into my Dimension 3100... LOL!

I installed it today (thanks again for directing me to the support docs, Darrell) and "OHCI Compliant IEEE 1394 Host Controller" showed up in my Dimension 3100 Device Manager.  When I took the board out, that didn't show up.

So... can we assume the card works, then?  If so, why can't I get my Western Digital external Firewire drive to show up in the computer file structure when I plug it into the Firewire card?  And why doesn't my video editing program (Premiere Elements) "see" my Sony DCR-TRV20 video camera that's also plugged into the Firewire board?

The WD external Firewire drive came with a "Western Digital Data Lifeguard Tools" CD.  I uninstalled the program and reinstalled it, twice.  No change in terms of the previous paragraph.

I'm at a loss... I need to do two things:

-- Look at the files that are on the external drive
-- Upload to my computer the video that's on the video camera

Sure would appreciate someone's help again.  Thanks in advance!  :-)

Carol
No Events found!