Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 20th, 2011 09:00

Tv Tuner for Inspiron Zino HD

Hello-

I recently purchased an Inspiron Zino HD.  I am very happy with the computer except one issue.  I appraently cannot successfully use it with a tv tuner.  ANY help on this would be great!

I purchased a Hauppauge Win TV-HVR 950Q hybrid tv stick (that's what they had at Best Buy off the shelf).  Of course once plugged in and configured, video is jumpy and skips.  I have troubleshooted using the Hauppauge suggestions including making sure the graphics card driver is up to date with no better results.  I am under the recommended processor speed of 2.2 ghz (950Q tech specs) and subsequently have discovered I am under for all the tuners I have looked up the tech specs on.  I am wondering if there is a way to tweak the processor to get this work or if I should return the Zino (I got it last week) and get something different or is there a tuner out there that I can get to work with this computer?  This computer's function is pretty much only going to be my TV-DVD-Internet source, so I need to find a solution to the tv part.  The computer is hooked into a projector.  I will be using MCE to view media.  I have standard cable tv (no box) running to the tuner.  If there is another tuner out there, I would prefer it to be a dual tuner.

Computer specs:

Inspiron 410 operating W7

Processor: AMD Phenom II P9640 Quad Core 1.7 GHz

System Memery: 8 GB

System Type: 64 bit Operating System

Display: ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5450

My five year old computer (XPS/Dimension 200/5150C) which recently died did all of this without any problems (internal PCI card) so I don't understand why it is an issue at this point with an external stick.  If you can enlighten me on this I would appreciate that as well.

Thank you

2 Posts

October 3rd, 2011 06:00

I have the same issue, but it's not the CPU, it's the GPU (graphics card).  It doesn't have enough power to properly and consistently decode HD signals, apparently.  Plugging directly into the TV I get no problems, but through the PC I get occasional digital chop.  I'm currently trying to figure out how to upgrade the graphics card in the machine.

No Events found!