Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 12th, 2008 12:00

Two big problems (bluescreen & hard disk)

Hello I'm new of this forum. I'm sorry for my english.
I've two big problems.

My computer desktop is a DELL XPS 420 - Windows Visa Ultimate - Quadocore Q6600 2.4 GHz 1066Mhz FSB, 8 Mb cache - 4x1028 memory 667MHz ddr2 - hard drive 1 TB (2 x 500) serial ATA Raid 0 Stripe - Single 768MB nVidia Geforce 8800 GTX - Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtreme Gamer PCI Soundcard Tv Tuner and AVIO / Accellerator
I've constantly update Vista and video card drivers

First problem: it often appears a bluescreen IRQL LESS OR NOT EQUAL with stop error number 0x0000000a or 0x0000009f. I think that it's a RAM problem but I've also done the test of the memory with the Diagnostic Tool after press F12 at the boot. This test have reported no errors. So I'm in trouble.

Second problem: it sometimes happens that the computer freezes with the blue hard disk light on all the time. When I reboot I can read the written "error occourred (0)" at both physical hard drives while the raid 0 stripe virtual hard disk is in the "normal" status and I can regularly see windows vista desktop and I can regularly work on the pc (except for the first problem).
So I'm more in trouble.

Can you help me???

Thx

Message Edited by lawyer16 on 01-12-2008 08:06 AM

Message Edited by lawyer16 on 01-12-2008 08:10 AM

436 Posts

January 12th, 2008 12:00

Have you downloaded and installed the newest A03 BIOS just released this week?

Once I installed the A03, I stopped having BSOD and seems to be running good.

Message Edited by PDSchweitzer on 01-12-2008 06:52 AM

20 Posts

January 12th, 2008 13:00

Hello,

I'm experiencing from time to time very similar problems to those described by Lawyer16. BSOD coming apparently from HDD Controler subsystem. It happened 3 times since I received my XPS (3 weeks ago), showing fluffy reliability and decreasing significantly my confidence... :smileysad:
The latest issue came this morning, after initiating a restart from Vista, I've got an unexpected error for Raid BIOS screen, stating one "drive not found". Switching off/on the computer and booting ok again. Scary...

Calling Dell Support with ticket remaining open for 2 weeks but with no luck so far as System diagnostics are going ok, drivers are updated,... This problem on my unit seems very difficult to track down as it's not possible to reproduce at will and it doesn't popup the same way each time. (BSOD... RAID controler falling at boot time this morning...).
Dell Support suggested to give a try to Vista SP1 RC1... SP1 RC1 being quite "good enough", I followed the recommendation. But it seems the problem is "lower" in the system, hardware or BIOS related (i.e. the issue I've got today).

At first, I suspected heat as the whole case is getting rather hot with a geForce 8800GTX running inside. But running Crysis game for numerous hours didn't bring any crash.

I'm using A03 firmware.

My guts feeling is focusing on RAID controler / Samsung HDD but so far, I'm not able to determine what is exactly the cause of the problem. Kindly, Dell Support suggested to replace different parts but it was crystal-clear these propositions were done "bindly" without any secured analysis. So... My current status is to "hope" to see happening a complete failure in order to be able to pinpoint the faulty part... :smileysurprised:

20 Posts

January 14th, 2008 22:00

New malfunction to be added to the same thread as I do believe problem is still related to the reliability issue I see on my RAID controler sub-system :

Warm reboot (cold reboot is always ok so far) and I got the BIOS booting progression bar (on the DELL icon screen) reaching 100% and... nothing,... I was stuck here, no RAID controler summary screen displayed. F2 key doesn't initiate BIOS Setting UI. Ctrl-Alt-Del makes the XPS rebooting but getting stuck again at same phase.
The only way to get ride of it : Power button.

Dell, I hope you have identified this problem and a solution will be proposed to your customers very soon.

3.3K Posts

January 19th, 2008 17:00

You've got a brand new machine, call Dell XPS support

2 Posts

January 19th, 2008 17:00

After one week again the same problems.

So I've installed the AO3 how you have suggest me, but nothing.

I would like to know if any Dell technician is present in the forum to help us.

Dell it is a big problem....

I repeat bluscreen
--> IRQL LESS OR NOT EQUAL with stop error number 0x0000000a or 0x0000009f
--> computer freezing and when I reboot(with the power botton)I can read the written "error occourred (0)" at both physical hard drives while the raid 0 stripe virtual hard disk is in the "normal" status

thanks

41 Posts

January 23rd, 2008 07:00

I think I can help a little bit, based off personal experience. The hard disk freezes and the "freeze" at 100% POST can be caused by faulty SATA cables.

This happened recently when I installed a HDD on my own, and it turns out the 24" cable was twisted just a little more than it should have been. I swapped the cable with a 36" one and was careful to route it in the case in a way that minimized the twists and turns it had to make.

So you might want to look into swapping the SATA cables and/or looking in the system to see if something is twisting too much.

Also, if you leave the POST alone at 100% for about 5-10 minutes, it will probably boot anyway but leave a "Hard Disk Not Found" message for a few seconds. That means the SATA cables are goofy.

This does not seem to be a widespread problem (yet), but I had the same problem until I changed my cable out and was more careful with the new one. I've been crash free for about a week now, and I've been stressing the system to test it.
No Events found!