Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 8th, 2010 20:00

UPS problem with XPS9000

Hi.  I need to know what UPS I need for my Studio XPS 435t/9000.  I have a APC Back-UPS RS 1200, but whenever we have a power problem, the desktop reboots even though it is in battery backup.  I confirmed through the APC Powershute that there is 20 minutes of battery life based on current power usage.

I re-checked and re-checked, it is plugged in to a batter backup plug.

So I assume my UPS isn't capable for supporting the power requirements for the Dell.  What model UPS do I need for my system?

Thanks for the information.

69 Posts

December 8th, 2010 22:00

You have to find a UPS that has Pure Sine Wave.  I had to fine an APC Smart Ups 700 to make mine work.  Just look for Pure Sine Wave as a specification.

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

December 9th, 2010 03:00

SOME, non pure sine wave UPS will work.  I have a Dell branded (actually an APC model) and it works with my Active PFC Power Supply (what is in your PC).  From other users reports if the UPS has a less than 4ms switching time these will work on some Active PFC Power Supplies.

Cyberpower makes several pure sine wave UPS systems.  Check the availability on www.amazon.com

44 Posts

December 9th, 2010 06:00

Hi There.  You are probably getting this problem because your current UPS has a square wave (or stepped approximation wave) output when on battery mode.  Modern PFC power supplies don't like this and in general you should use a UPS with a sine wave output when on battery mode.  Various options are available.  The best is a 500W or 1000W Tower UPS from Dell (feature rich, good LCD control panel, 3 year warranty including batteries).  There are also other alternatives out there - just check sinewave power output when on battery.  Unfortunately it's going to cost a little more than the standby UPS technology you already have. 

2 Posts

December 9th, 2010 08:00

Great help, thank you all.

No Events found!