Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

December 2nd, 2013 16:00

URGENT - Inspiron 530s Win7 and RAM Upgrade

Hi, 

I am about to upgrade my old Dell Inspiron 530s from Vista 32 bit to Windows 7 64 bit and want to upgrade the RAM as well.

This upgrade is simply because I've just built myself a new system and am giving my 530s to my parents after a rebuild.

My 530s currently has 4GB RAM (4x1GB) and I would like to replace two of these with 2x2GB sticks so the machine will end up having 6GB... 
(2x2GB + 2x1GB)

I am aware that I will have to pair the RAM in slots 1+3 and 2+4 :)

This is the RAM I am looking to buy - http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=13596

Will it be possible for me to upgrade with these 2 new sticks of RAM?

The 530s runs on the Core2 Duo processor and although I can't remember the exact model, I think it may be the E8300 (2.83GHz).

I've been trying to find the Invoice for the PC as I've used it previously for a graphics card upgrade, but am unable to find it yet so can't remember the full specs.

Can anyone please assist as soon as possible!!

Thanks in advance, 

Sarah

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

December 2nd, 2013 18:00

KnightShadow25178

The Foxconn G33m02 [Dell P/N ORY007] motherboard, supports a maximum of 4gb of DDR2 RAM, the 530 Mini Tower systems with a Foxconn G33m03 motherboard can support 8gb [4 x 2gb modules].

Dell 530s systems have a Foxconn G33m02 motherboard, that only supports a maximum of 4gb [either4 x 1gb modules, or 2 x 2gb modules].

Bev.

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

December 2nd, 2013 19:00

You'd be much better off investing in an SSD boot drive, especially as you're upgrading this to Windows 7.

4gb of memory is more than enough for everyday use.

RDUNNILL - Please see above :)

Also, as I'm relatively new to the PC building sitde of things (it was a learning curve to come up with the specs for my new pc!), could you give me a little more info/insight on using an SSD Boot Drive for this machine?

All the things that the 530s will most likely be used for are mentioned in my reply above :)

Thanks for your help!!

Sarah 

Wow thanks for the quick reply to both of you!!

Just out of curiosity, is there a way to check the model or any other info on the motherboard installed on my 530s?

I'm going to power it up tonight and see if it needs any "core" updates - ftp://ftp.dell.com/Pages/Drivers/inspiron-530s.html#BIOS
I'm pretty sure it hasn't had any since I got it in 2008!

If I were to leave it alone (RAM-wise) and rebuild with Win7 64-bit, would the 4GB be sufficient RAM?
It did fairly well for me on Vista 32-bit, but obviously wasn't up there with the lightening machines :)
I used a lot of graphic software (Adobe Creative Suite CS4, Paint Shop Pro) as well as a few games, but had to upgrade the graphics card when testing Need for Speed: Undercover as it couldn't keep up.
I never did find out if it was the card though as I returned the games a few months before getting the new card although it was definitely better allround with the new card! I can't say I played many "performance draining" games though... Need for Speed would have been the biggest, but since it didn't work I swapped it out for the PS2 version and never tried another...

My parents mainly use their current PC for internet (eBay, Facebook, online shopping, YouTube etc... the usual) as well as emails and normal basic stuff. Recently my mum has been using it to remote in to her PC at work so she can work from home if need be.

I'm expecting my 530s should allow them to do all of this easily too once its on Win7 as the DELL they currently own/use is from around 2006 (runs XP!) and hasn't had any upgrades! :)
Am I correct on this one?

Any information you could provide would be very much appreciated!

Thanks!

Sarah

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

December 2nd, 2013 20:00

120gb SSD

Adapter bracket

You'll also need a SATA data cable and four shoulder screws to mount the bracket to the hard drive bay, but I believe those are taped to the front of the chassis, behind the front bezel.

Once this hardware is installed, install Windows on the SSD and marvel at the boost in performance. I recommend pointing the "My Documents" folder to a folder on the original hard drive.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

KnightShadow25178

:emotion-21:

Bev.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

KnightShadow25178

I'm running 3gb of DDR2 RAM in a 530MT with a G33m02 [Dell P/N 0RY007] motherboard, using W7 Home Premium [upgraded from Vista] without any issues, the system also has a PCIe x 16 Radeon HD 7750 video card, two SATA hard drives and an SSD cache drive.

To find the motherboard version that's installed, try using CPU-Z:

http://cpu-z.soft32.com/free-download/?lp=adwords&tg=us&kw=Cpu+z&mt=e&ad=32930101158&pl=&ds=s&gclid=CKzmkdWck7sCFcY7Mgod02YAdw

Bev.

Thanks!

I'm sure the 530s will handle everything once its on Win7 (Home) as it won't have all the extra programs on it that would be draining once running.

Thanks again for all your help!! :)

December 2nd, 2013 21:00

Thanks heaps!

This definitely give me something the think on!! :)

Thanks for all your help!!

Sarah 

No Events found!